The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Backing up! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/backing-up-27894/)

biggame12 05-16-2009 01:18 PM

Backing up!

When I first got my 5 year old mare she was perfectly fine with backing up but now she freaks out and rears up on her back legs every time I try to back her up which creates a big problem since I am trying to team rope. Just looking for any tips/advice

Thanks yall

koomy56 05-16-2009 07:48 PM

Sounds like she's stuck. Back her on the lead rope, releasing only when her hind feet take a step back. Then ask for forward, then back, then forward, etc. Do it then in the bridle. If you ask to back with the bit, and she doesn't, use the butt end of a whip or the tail of your reins to influence her, don't pull harder on her mouth. When you're riding, ask to back gently, and if she doesn't gently tap her shoulder with the end of a whip. She's just stuck.

saint3meg3rlfc 05-16-2009 07:53 PM

Go back to the basics. Will she backup well when on the ground? Try and get a friend to lead her back see if that helps.

smrobs 05-16-2009 08:17 PM

You might also want to have her check by a chiro. She could be out in her back or hip and that could be causing something to pinch when she backs up. Also, what kind of bit do you have her in? Have you recently changed bits?

biggame12 05-16-2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint3meg3rlfc (Post 308287)
Go back to the basics. Will she backup well when on the ground? Try and get a friend to lead her back see if that helps.

I have tried to do that and she doesn't back up she just rears up and I pet her and calm her down and keep trying and I'll walk her forward and she keeps doing the same thing over and over..

biggame12 05-16-2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koomy56 (Post 308280)
Sounds like she's stuck. Back her on the lead rope, releasing only when her hind feet take a step back. Then ask for forward, then back, then forward, etc. Do it then in the bridle. If you ask to back with the bit, and she doesn't, use the butt end of a whip or the tail of your reins to influence her, don't pull harder on her mouth. When you're riding, ask to back gently, and if she doesn't gently tap her shoulder with the end of a whip. She's just stuck.

She rears up every time I try to get her to back up if I'm on the ground or on her

biggame12 05-16-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 308301)
You might also want to have her check by a chiro. She could be out in her back or hip and that could be causing something to pinch when she backs up. Also, what kind of bit do you have her in? Have you recently changed bits?

I haven't changed bits and I use a shank bit. It's what she has used all her life.

smrobs 05-16-2009 10:41 PM

Well since this is a pretty new thing that has developed without any major change in the way that she is handled, I would guess that it is a pain response that is causing her behavior. Have the vet check her over paying close attention to her back, hips, stifle, and hocks; and check her teeth, that could be causing it too. After the vet checks her it wouldn't hurt to have a chiropractor out to adjust her. Just riding a horse can cause them to go out of alignment and when you combine the speed and torque of roping, it can happen quickly and be pretty bad. Have her checked for health reasons and then get back to us. I hope you find a solution. Good luck. :)

biggame12 05-17-2009 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 308402)
Well since this is a pretty new thing that has developed without any major change in the way that she is handled, I would guess that it is a pain response that is causing her behavior. Have the vet check her over paying close attention to her back, hips, stifle, and hocks; and check her teeth, that could be causing it too. After the vet checks her it wouldn't hurt to have a chiropractor out to adjust her. Just riding a horse can cause them to go out of alignment and when you combine the speed and torque of roping, it can happen quickly and be pretty bad. Have her checked for health reasons and then get back to us. I hope you find a solution. Good luck. :)

Alright thanks a lot. I didn't even think it could have been a health problem. Thanks for all your help.

appylover31803 05-17-2009 01:03 PM

How long have you had her? What type of riding do you normally do with her?
How to do you ask her to back up? Does anyone else ride her or train her that could have given her a different cue to back up?