The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Trail Riding (/trail-riding/)
-   -   Coggins and trail riding? (

jewelerin74 09-18-2013 05:12 PM

Coggins and trail riding?
So my friend and her mom invited me to go trail riding sense it's on my birthday and I really want to go. But my horse doesn't have a recent coggins and I unfortunately decided to wait until the last minute. I didn't know it took almost a week to get the test completed. The vets in my area are all filled except for one day when i'm at school and my mom is too. Can I get in trouble for riding without having a coggins done? I hope she doesn't have it but if she did I would think she or the horse I got together would have died. Can I ride without one in Minnesota? I believe it is the trail near Milaks lake
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 09-18-2013 05:17 PM

If you're taking the horse out in public then yes, you need a current negative Coggins.

Yes, you can get in trouble. If it's a public trail or a state park area there may be someone there checking for Coggins and you'll be turned away. You could also receive a fine for bringing the animal off your property without a current one.

Horses don't immediately drop dead if they contract EIA, but they're highly contagious and if yours had it they could infect others. There's a reason it's illegal to transport or ride horses off your property without a current Coggins.

jewelerin74 09-18-2013 05:34 PM

I didn't mean drop dead right away. The person we got the two from live a couple miles down the road and they had them for around 4yrs. I wouldn't think she would have it. But i'm not sure obviously. I didn't even know it took a week to get the results.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 09-18-2013 05:41 PM

If I'm reading this correctly, a Coggins test is only required for horses being imported into Minnesota. There doesn't seem to be any specific requirement for travel within the state.


Incitatus32 09-18-2013 05:52 PM

I'm not in Minnesota so I'm not an expert and don't quote me but I don't think you would need one (I can't see a way to regulate it efficently) and I've never had to show one. I didn't get one the past year due to finances and I've only gone on a couple of trail rides with a group of horses from my barn since. At the same time it would be nice to have one just so that you know (think like manners) and aren't exposing other horses. Our vet told us that the test is for everyone's peace of mind. The reality is that there is a possibility that your horse (or another) can get infected ten minuets after the test is taken or give a false negative. Still I'd get your horse tested. I'm not going to say go trail riding or don't but I think if your upfront with your vet, and the people that are taking you they could give you more answers and opinions.

PaintHorseMares 09-18-2013 06:03 PM

The statutes for EIA/Coggins do vary from state to state.

franknbeans 09-18-2013 08:47 PM

To just go trail ride, I would not think you would have to show one. However, if it is an organized ride with many people, you likely would need to show it.

Painted Horse 09-18-2013 09:55 PM

Here in Utah, I don't need a coggins to transport a horse inside the state. I do need a Coggins to cross state lines.

Various National Parks, ( Bryce Canyon, Zions, Yellowstone ) all require a coggins to enter the park. My state park do not.

Depending on the event. Different event organizer may or may not require coggins or current health certificates for horses coming to participate. We used to require current health papers for horses attending the Competitive Trail Ride that I sponsored and managed. It was just a rule I had so the other 100 horse owners were more comfortable bringing there horses to compete amongst so many other strange horses.

If you are just going on a trail ride with 3-4 friends and staying inside the state. You are probably OK., But check with your local state laws.

AQHSam 09-18-2013 10:05 PM

If you have to pay someone to access the trails, I would guess you have to show your coggins.

Where I ride, the trails are on private land and the trailhead is at a privately owned campground. To park the trailer and day ride is $5. Break the bank, righr? but the owner requires a current negative coggins. Her property. her rules.

You may want to ask about how you access the trails. then go to their website and research if the property requires negative coggins.

trailhorserider 09-18-2013 10:45 PM

In Arizona, to the best of my knowledge, we only need one if we cross state lines. I frequently hitch a ride with other people for trail rides and nobody ever even thinks about Coggins tests. Not unless they are leaving the state. So I guess this really depends on the area you live in.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome