The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   How To Sit the Big Trot in Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/how-sit-big-trot-dressage-279130/)

Sirius 09-18-2013 10:45 PM

How To Sit the Big Trot in Dressage

Hello,
I'm new to the HorseForum. I'm riding a wonderful dressage horse. I'm only a lesson person right now and no longer own a horse (for now, that is) This horse is a terrific schoolmaster but well, I'm having trouble sitting to that big trot. My position has vastly improved, the canter is no problem and transitions are pretty good but my seat is just not as quiet and steady as I'd like it to be. We've been working without stirrups and on the lounge line too. He is very powerful from behind (love that!). How long did it take some of you?I'm been trying very hard to get my core up too. Suggestions?

tinyliny 09-19-2013 02:25 AM

I'm a wuss. I post the big trots, on the rare occasion I might get them. No ad ice her . But likely you just need time and are actually doing just fine, all along .

Northern 09-19-2013 05:22 AM

Check out Sally Swift's book; some say its directions have transformed their ability to sit the trot. Deb Bennett, on her site, discusses how SS did same for her, & how the trot is a more side-to-side than up & down gait, so that's how you follow it with your own body.

Kayty 09-21-2013 12:32 AM

Sitting those big, powerful trots is tough!
It is very much dependent on the strength of your core muscles. You will see that the vast majority of Dressage riders spend a lot of time at the gym, and recommend pilates as an off horse exercise. Without strong core muscles you will forever struggle.
The core takes the brunt of the impact, holding your body upright and allowing your legs to hang passively. Your core will be burning after a short period of sitting trot if you've really got it working. This is what allows a Dressage rider to remain so quiet in the saddle. Then it is all about skill, feel, hours in the saddle, practice, practice, practice and a perfectly balanced seat.

You'll get it eventually, but you'll be surprised that it will probably 'click' best when you're not even thinking about doing it.

frlsgirl 09-24-2013 01:12 PM

I just recently learned to engage my core. I probably had about 25 formal dressage lessons before it finally "clicked" - but I did a TON of stuff out of the saddle including ab workouts, pilates and long work-outs on the elyptical.