The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Questions regarding vaccines. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/questions-regarding-vaccines-27929/)

appylover31803 05-16-2009 09:38 PM

Questions regarding vaccines.

I'm planning on giving my horses their vaccines myself this year to cut down on costs (please no remarks about this. Thanks!)

In the fall they got:
Flu/Rhino Vaccine
PHF Vaccine
West Nile Vaccine
Botulism

I did have the vet come out and give the fall shots. That is what he gave. Along with a over $400 vet bill!:shock:

Do I give them the Flu/rhino and west nile again now or should I wait until the fall? Everything I've read is just once yearly, and I know the fall was 08 and not 09, but I just dont know if it can be given within 6 months or if it has to be 12 months.
I just dont want to over vaccinate them.

Thanks in advance!

PaintHorseMares 05-16-2009 09:48 PM

We give our mares their 5 or 6-way shots once a year, in the spring before the mosquitos start attacking. The package insert says once a year, though I do know some folks do spring and fall. You may want to consider tetanus vaccine, also (usually included in the n-way shots).

appylover31803 05-16-2009 09:54 PM

oh yes, I am definitely going to give them tetnus, EEE, and WEE, I just wasn't sure if you can give them flu/rhino and WNV in less than a year's time.

If I do give them a 5 way in the spring, what do I give them in the fall?

Ryle 05-17-2009 12:27 PM

If you don't know what you should be giving, you really should talk to your vet. Recommendations are based upon specific situations and environmental risk factors so there isn't a "one-size-fits-all" program.

That being said, I assume that your mosquito season is not in the middle of winter and isn't more than 6 months long in your location so I'm unsure why your vet would be giving WNV in the fall. (I could be wrong though.) WNV vaccines are recommended to be given in the early spring at least 2 weeks before mosquito season so that you have the highest levels of circulating antibodies in the system during the time when mosquito-borne diseases are most likely to be contracted. WNV are proven effective for 1 year, but can be given more often. In fact, in the southern states like Florida, Louisiana, Texas, etc it is often recommended to booster every 6 months because our mosquito season lasts all year round. So, you could booster now and again in the fall and keep doing it twice a year or you could booster now and then not in the fall and get yourself on a once a year plan doing it in the spring or you could just continue to booster once a year in the fall.

Flu/Rhino vaccines aren't effective for a full year. Recommendations for how often to give them yearly depend on situation (boarding, showing, etc) and which particular vaccine was given. Some of the vaccines only provide protection for 3-4 months while some of the newest ones provide protection for about 6 months.

appylover31803 05-17-2009 05:34 PM

Thank you so much Ryle.
I too was confused why he gave WNV in the fall, but I didn't question it at that time.