The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   Drill Team (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/drill-team-279322/)

caisiemay 09-19-2013 10:49 AM

Drill Team

Hi friends!

I'm a beginner but I've always dreamed of being in my local drill team. I can't find any resources for it and it seems to be 'invite only'. So in the meantime I'm looking for any tips and activities I can practice to get myself and my mare ready for the drill team. I stared with a plastic bag on a pole to get her used to the sound and will be starting with a flag soon.

Thanks!

BarrelracingArabian 09-19-2013 11:47 AM

Take her out to rodeos and such to get used to all the noises and busy settings. Practice one handed ques, circles stops etc.

caisiemay 09-19-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 3673762)
Take her out to rodeos and such to get used to all the noises and busy settings.

Like I said, I'm a beginner so this may seem like a silly question. You're allowed to bring a horse to the rodeo even if they aren't competing? I've been bringing her to fun gymkhana sessions where they play music and there's about 20 people with their horses at the arena so it does get a bit loud.

GamingGrrl 09-19-2013 12:29 PM

Work on speed control in all the gaits too. Be able to get her to slow and quicken her gaits using your seat.
Make sure she has a super solid stop as well.

Maybe google and see if you have any drill clinics in your area?
Posted via Mobile Device

caisiemay 09-19-2013 01:16 PM

We've been working on slowing and quickening with the seat lots, glad that'll help! She has a very fast stop when she's being lunged but it's not as fast when I'm in the saddle, so we will work on that.
I've been googling around and can't find anything nearby, I live in a small town and unfortunately don't have the means to haul her elsewhere right now.

KayceeJo 09-20-2013 03:06 PM

I've been on a drill team for the last 4 years. And about the rodeo- yes they are a good place to get a horse ready for an actual show, but you will have to talk to the director of the committee running the rodeo if it is okay to bring your horse. Some will, some won't.

Just remember, before you start hauling your horse to shows, you have to have him ready. You don't want to go to the show trying to make an impression, because there may be drill team members there, and if your horse spooks at something you don't want to make a bad impression.

About your horse- you need to be sure he is well-broke. He needs to be able to walk, trot, lope, and run smoothly, with smooth transitions. The stop is also a major factor, as well as the back. He should also be able to pivot on the front and back, both directions. He also needs to be able to lope a perfect circle for fans, crossovers, etc. He needs to get along well with other horses to, and be able to carry flags. A horse that travels well is also a bonus.

After you have all that, start taking your horse to events. If you think he is going to be spooky, bring a friend with a good horse that your horse can follow.

If you want a good one to look up. youtube the All American Cowgirl Chicks and the Latigo N Lace drill teams. They are both really good. Just remember you probably won't be doing much trick riding; just depends on the drill team. And if you want to, don't be scared to call the drill team coach and see what they look for and what they need. If your team doesn't have sponsors, it can get pretty expensive if you have to buy your own uniforms, protective boots, gear, and pay your part of fuel and trailers.

It is a lot of hard work, but don't give up. The drill teams are very fun, and it is great when you do a perfect performance and are signing autographs and taking pictures with fans. Good luck!!

caisiemay 09-20-2013 03:47 PM

Thanks KayceeJO! I really appreciate the complete run down. Out of all the things you mentioned the one thing that she does not know at all is the pivot. We have been working on it though, we've only been successful once so we will see how that goes!