The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   unknown leg swelling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/unknown-leg-swelling-27938/)

sglenkler 05-16-2009 11:37 PM

unknown leg swelling

My seven year old thoroughbred is just off the track. I have been taking it slow with him. He has no past injuries, just a little thin. I recently noticed that his front leg is swollen on the inside between his knee and his ankle. He has a knot on that leg now also. He has never been lame, even at the peak of the swelling. the vet said it may be a strained tendon and to leave him in for one week. He has been in for three weeks and it has randomly swelled again. He is in no pain. My trainer felt it and said she thinks he's ok to jump but his swelling was down at the time she looked at it. Any ideas of what this could be and how to treat it?

smrobs 05-17-2009 02:19 AM

It could be a strained tendon or he could have broken his splint bone (pretty common injury). I really wouldn't advise jumping him until you find out for sure what is causing the swelling. When it is down, you might have the vet look and see if they still think it is a tendon problem or if it could be something else.

knaskedov 05-17-2009 07:41 PM

You could try sweating it to see what happens. My OTTB once came up with a swollen leg and we couldn't find any reason for it. After taking the wrap off the next day we noticed he had a little wound that had gotten infected (pretty yucky).
It's not that hard, mix DMSO with Furazone, cover it with clingfilm and wrap the whole thing in a standing wrap. The next day you take it off and hose the leg down.
OTTB's are pretty fragile, I really wouldn't jump him unless you are absolutely certain there is nothing wrong with him. Mine has been injured about as much time as he's been healthy since I got him. The other 2 at our barn have something wrong with them most of the time too. (Hips, legs, knees, you name it, I don't think we've had them all healthy at the same time ever).