The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   how Fast Can You Put Horses on Grass (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-fast-can-you-put-horses-27956/)

Erin_And_Jasper 05-17-2009 03:37 PM

how Fast Can You Put Horses on Grass

my horses are on grass now for 8-10 hours a day. how long can i bump it up each day? like and hour or two? whats the max? can i leave them on it over night?

twogeldings 05-17-2009 03:47 PM

Did you just put them on grass?

Rule of thumb is to start with 15 minuets per day and work your way up from there. Especially with fresh spring grass thats hyped up with all sorts of sugars. Eventually you get to the point were you can leave them out 24/7 if you wanted to.

My own horses get several hours per day on grass, and my rescue on nice nights gets to stay in the pasture. Still, I would be wairy of letting them out 24/7, and wouldn't allow them more than a half hour increase per day to decrease the risk of colic and founder.

Erin_And_Jasper 05-17-2009 03:54 PM

i have been increasing them and hour or so each day. its not great lush grass, its kinda patchy. could i leave them out all night?

NewHeart 05-18-2009 04:34 PM

How lush is the grass? Depending on how large the area is, if the grass is lush and the horses are not usually on pasture I would not leave them out overnight.

Can I ask how much hay are your horses getting? I know in your other post regarding senior feed, you were trying to put weight on your horses. Although allowing your horses to graze is great, having substantial hay available will help them maintain a proper weight.

county 05-18-2009 06:33 PM

When I put mine on grass I leave them on 24/7 its just not practical to limit the time for a large number of horses I'd spend the entire day catching them. I make sure their full of good dry hay and have access to it then open the gates. We have 180 acres of pasture and let it get 6 to 8 inches high before we start grazing season. 100's of horses over the past 40 years 0 probelms so far.

Erin_And_Jasper 05-18-2009 06:47 PM

they get free choice hay. is is only half an acre and its not lush at all. i left them out last night and they seem fine

Vidaloco 05-18-2009 07:07 PM

We have 4 horses on a 7 acre pasture. I do the 1 hour increments until they are out all day. Since you have them on a small acreage it would be best to let the pasture rest for a few days a week. I have a 2 acre dry lot with lean-to shelters (and hay) that they go to in the winter and when its muddy or storming. I try to keep them off the grass if its soupy. Its better for their hooves and won't tear the pasture up so bad.
If you are up to 8 hours on grass I'd say you are ready for all day.

Erin_And_Jasper 05-18-2009 07:57 PM

i got pics of the pasture.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...yhorses031.jpg

charliBum 08-14-2009 11:28 PM

I know this is old, but why not just chuck them on it? or is this not done in america?

charlene1985 08-15-2009 12:07 AM

I agree, chuck them out there lol! If they are already out there for 10 hours a day then they are used to the nutrients and its grass they are already used to since its the same pasture. Ive NEVER had any problems with it.