The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Inducing Lactation in Dry Mares (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/inducing-lactation-dry-mares-279618/)

xXSweetBreezeXx 09-19-2013 07:33 PM

Inducing Lactation in Dry Mares

Ok, so for one of my college course (equine breeding management), I have to give a presentation on new reproductive technologies. The one that I picked was inducing lactation in the dry mare, as it sounded quite interesting. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good articles on it, or even knew of an expert I could get in contact with on this topic?
Thanks in advance everyone!
Melissa

paintedpastures 09-19-2013 08:48 PM

we actually tried this on one of my mares:wink:.I had articles researched online & vet agreed to give it a try. I had an orphan foal & no luck finding a nurse mare so we opted to try one of my own mares to take her on:D. She never did lactate enough to sustain a foal,but took the baby on like her own,{she became her surrogate mom},but we still had to bucket feed baby:-) I don't have the article explaining the process anymore,but see if I can dig it up again.:wink:

ETA:: found it http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/aaep...006/daels1.pdf

caleybooth 09-23-2013 04:14 PM

I am VERY interested in this study. Not for mares but for bitches. I breed mastiffs and there is a high probability of the mother not producing milk. I would love to see what could be done to jumpstart milk production! :) Please update!

Bridgertrot 09-24-2013 02:24 AM

As for an expert, you could potentially contact Dr. Bruemmer at CSU. He was my equine reproduction teacher, loves what he does, knows a ton, and is a really nice guy. We talked about this in one of our lectures.

Link to the CSU Repro site: Equine Reproduction Laboratory You can find him under faculty.

xXSweetBreezeXx 09-29-2013 04:55 PM

Thanks so much guys for your help! I will keep everyone updated as I get more done on the project, and maybe I'll upload the report and presentation when I'm done. I'm really excited about this! In the mean time, if anyone has any more information, it's greatly appreciated! I'll be working on this until November 7th.

xXSweetBreezeXx 10-12-2013 07:03 PM

So just a little info I found:
The average cost for the hormones for the recommended regime for a 450kg mare can cost anywhere between $308 (if the mare only needs to be on sulpiride for 21 days in the absolute best case scenario) all the way up to $1498 if the mare needs to be on sulpiride for the entire length of nursing, assuming you will wean early at 3 months (which is the more likely scenario)...
Aaaannd...on top of all of this, the likelihood that the mare will produce enough milk for the foal to solely live off moms milk (without you having to add a bottle or bucket milk replacer supplement), is only about 30%. But 80% of mares will produce enough milk for the foal to nurse, and have the owner supplement with regular bottles or buckets, which should reduce a lot of the "orphan foal problems".