The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Blind Foal Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/blind-foal-question-27979/)

Gemstorm 05-17-2009 10:52 PM

Blind Foal Question

My neighbors mini mare foaled a blind colt ..it's eyeballs had never developed and it also appeared to have some sort of paralysis of the hind legs. It was a full term gestation with no apparent difficulties for the mare. This would have been her 4th colt and the three previous had foaled with no problems.
The question is what could cause such a thing. The foal was born alive and we milked the mare to get the colostrum into it etc. The vet said if we could keep it alive (which she doubted) for 24 hours then she might be able to do something for it. She also (the vet) said this was the third foal she knew of this year in our area to have been born so. She also said it was neurological and there probably were other hidden pathologies going on.
Thank you all for any illuminations you might be able to shed on this very disturbing event.

BluMagic 05-17-2009 11:04 PM

I would guess it had something to do with the sire or the environment. This isn't horses but my aunt had a baby boy that lived for only 30min with constant resuscitation. After an autopsy, we were told that my aunt had developed something (can't remember what) that could have been linked to Parvo from a dog. The baby's esophagus wasn't fully developed even though it was a full gestation period.

Just a thought...I hope it works out all for the best.

mybabysewanka 05-17-2009 11:50 PM

I am not quite sure what would cause that universities around could run tests to see why, and also any opinions adivise from the vet is always also a good place to start.. I hope the foal makes it and I am sorry to hear about the turn of events.. I will pray for you all

appylover31803 05-18-2009 12:13 AM

I would say its something in the environment. Water, air, grass, hay etc. just because there have been other similar cases in your area.

I hope the foal pulls through!

CheyAut 05-18-2009 12:38 AM

^^^ Just what I was going to say. Hope all works out ok!

Gemstorm 05-18-2009 09:43 AM

Thank you all..:)

I appreciate you taking the time to give some thought and answers to the question. Some clues to follow up on for sure. I agree that with two others in the area having the same problem foalings there must be a commonality there environmentally or otherwise. I am wondering about hay or grain even since who knows what is in the fields or even the grains these days.
The lil dude didnt make it sorry to say. Just too catastrophic for him. The vet said there were probably other hidden neurological factors as well as the blindness and lack of co-ordination in its hindquarters.

appylover31803 05-18-2009 02:02 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

smrobs 05-18-2009 05:23 PM

That is so sad. It could have been caused by something that the mare was exposed to; some pesticide, other chemical, or something in her food. Or it could have just been a coincidence. It is terrible that the little guy didn't make it but considering what his life would have been like, maybe that is for the best. I hope your friend has better luck in the future.

Gemstorm 05-19-2009 06:50 AM

I have found some information on the condition which is called Anophthalmia and Microphthalmia Ano..meaning no eyes and micro meaning abnormally small..googling using Equine took me to a trove of sites which I thought others would find interesting as well.
Thank you again everyone...:)