The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

She kicks!

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  reining girl 
#1 ·
hehe, none of mine though x)

So I got to meet the people buying the five acres we own outside of town. Well they have horses too, so naturally I had to go out and see them 8D

They have a big Palomino gelding. More for an experienced rider as he likes to go. As the guy said 'If you can't ride, don't get on!'. So true.

But they also have a little three year old chestnut filly. Light build, leggy, with a pretty head. When they got her she wasn't halter or lead broke, now she does lead and kinda halter. Pretty much like my own Red Man. They're also doing some light lunge training.

But her problem is, she kicks! Will really lash out at you with her back hooves. I suggested getting her teeth checked of course. But does anyone else have any other suggestions? They'd like her as a trail horse, maybe some light fun shows.

#4 ·
It sounds like she has lack of respect because of her young age and lack of traning. Hopefully they will put the right kind of time into her to make her into a great little horse.

#5 ·
My Arab mare kicked somebody once, and let me tell you, it was the first and last time she ever even thought about doing that. She was 2 years old and my boyfriend at the time was playing with her on a lead, and he was running with her. She got out in front of him, lined him up and POW - nailed him right in the shoulder and sent him flying.

I grabbed that horse so fast and took my leather ended popper crop to her (the ends are flat but their are two of them, so when you give them a smack it makes a loud noise without being able to inflict any damage like a real whip can). I had her by the lead and I just walloped her hind end until she figured out that I NEVER want to see her hind end, I want those eyes on me at all times.

Naturally, this method doesn't work for everyone. My mare was born on our farm, so she was raised loving people and being trained properly from birth, so this was a case of her knowing darn well better and just choosing to act out. But unless a horse has been abused, kicking is something I flat out don't tolerate and nip in the bud as fast as possible.

I agree with everyone else, she needs manners. This doesn't neccesarily have to mean physical discipline, but if she's lashing out that bad, I wouldn't think anything of carrying a whip with me and giving her one good smack if she kicked out at me. As far as I'm concerned, my safety is a lot more important then "not wanting to hurt" a 1000lb animal obsessed with injuring me. What would happen in the pasture if she kicked the wrong horse? She's get chased and bitten - HARD.

Anyway, just my opinion. Good luck with her.

#6 ·
When my neighbor's ottb kicked at her while eating she just smacked his butt right away with broom she was using at the moment. NEVER happened again.

#7 ·
I had a filly briefly that kicked out at me once when I was in her stall grooming her (my own horse, not a client's). I had a pretty big heavy brush in my hand and chucked it as hard as I could at her rear. Never did it again; at least with me... not sure what her manners ended up being like with the person that owns her now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.