The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   getting show ready.... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/getting-show-ready-28024/)

Jillyann 05-18-2009 08:44 PM

getting show ready....

Okay, SO.. me and my pony Candy Cane are going to be in our first show together this coming saturday. :D Im completely siked about it, BUT.. its western gaming, and the only shows ive ever been in were hunter/jumper. mind you, i havent even rode in a show in over 2 years. so im pretty nervous!

What are some things that you guys do to get show ready? I figure a bath (weather peritting of course) lots of brushing and maybe some hoof polishing, and def. a good mane and tail brushing. and clean all my tack.

Other then that, im not really sure what else i should do. Any sugestions?

Here is a picture of Candy. She still had some of her winter coat on, so she does look a little shaggy ( that is mostly all gone now! ) and the ground was really uneven. so she may look a little downhill.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2qtk5yr.jpg

Jillyann 05-18-2009 08:58 PM

Here is also another picture that i found.. Her under saddle

http://i41.tinypic.com/2m6kbxw.jpg

PoptartShop 05-18-2009 09:32 PM

Aw, Candy is so cute! :D Before the show, I do all the grooming, definitely give the horse a bath, & put some ShowSheen on! :D
Braiding the mane & tail is nice, too. ;) Not always necessary, but it looks nice. I've never shown Western, but I'm pretty sure the pre-show grooming is very similar.
The night before the show, if your horse is in a pasture for turn-out, make sure you put a turn-out sheet on so your horse stays clean. :) It really helps.

SallyRC123 05-20-2009 10:36 PM

You could also sponge her eyes, muzzle and dock to get rid of any dead skin or crusty bits off the eyes. My horse is called Candy too =] hehe.

ilovemyPhillip 05-20-2009 10:47 PM

typical show grooming. look online how to 'western clip' the mane if you plan on showing more than once. I'd [taid the tail in the 'western style', too

anny

reining girl 05-21-2009 01:03 PM

ya, a good bath, braid her mane and tail if you want, i like the tail to be flowing lol, some show sheen but do not put it on were the saddle goes!! its slick.

Jillyann 05-21-2009 02:23 PM

haha, yeah i def. know all about show sheen where the saddle goes. and how its a HUGE no no!

StormyBlues 05-21-2009 04:55 PM

You can probably do a running braid in her mane! It would be cute!

MIEventer 05-21-2009 07:38 PM

If it is a Western Gaming show - I wouldn't worry too much about braiding or bathing.

Just make sure she is clean, well groomed. Your tack is clean and tidy and you have a comfortable outfit.

You can even coordinate your outfit to match your Candy Cane's outfit. Matching pad and shirt? etc, etc.

You'll be doing Barrels, Pole Bending, Key Hole etc, etc - not showmanship or anything like that.

You wont be infront of a Judge who stands in the middle of the arena watching meticulously at every move you make, it is about your performance and time.

You can use Twinkle Toes :) Those are popular at Gymkanna's. I think they are so cute too :)

Your basic Western Clothing and tack.

Red Ribbon on your horses tail if she kicks.

~~~

Make a list of everything you'l want to bring with you. Make sure you check each item off as you pack it to ensure you have it with you.

HAVE FUN!!!! Get lots of piccies!

Jillyann 05-21-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 311717)
If it is a Western Gaming show - I wouldn't worry too much about braiding or bathing.

Just make sure she is clean, well groomed. Your tack is clean and tidy and you have a comfortable outfit.

You can even coordinate your outfit to match your Candy Cane's outfit. Matching pad and shirt? etc, etc.

You'll be doing Barrels, Pole Bending, Key Hole etc, etc - not showmanship or anything like that.

You wont be infront of a Judge who stands in the middle of the arena watching meticulously at every move you make, it is about your performance and time.

You can use Twinkle Toes :) Those are popular at Gymkanna's. I think they are so cute too :)

Your basic Western Clothing and tack.

Red Ribbon on your horses tail if she kicks.

~~~

Make a list of everything you'l want to bring with you. Make sure you check each item off as you pack it to ensure you have it with you.

HAVE FUN!!!! Get lots of piccies!

blue and black are going to be out colors! i know shes a mare, but i dont have any pink besides her halter.:lol:

and thanks! i hope we have fun too. there will be lots of pictures! :D

and the check list is def. a must! thanks!