The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   5 Star Pads (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/5-star-pads-28025/)

Colorado Dobes 05-18-2009 09:11 PM

5 Star Pads

A lot of barrel racers rave about these pads. I just bought one and may be getting ready to buy another. Anyone here use one? What do you think?

luvs2ride1979 05-19-2009 12:42 AM

They're nice, but overpriced IMO. People who buy them, like them. They are good felt pads, just too expensive to me.

If you want nice wool felt with truely shock absorbing properties, I'd look at the ThinLine felt pads. Their felt is by Classic Equine. I use a ThinLine western half pad over a Diamond Felt Liner pad and really like the combo.

Colorado Dobes 05-19-2009 08:53 PM

Those really aren't much cheaper than the 5-Stars, though, are they?

luvs2ride1979 05-20-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colorado Dobes (Post 310251)
Those really aren't much cheaper than the 5-Stars, though, are they?

No, but you're getting more pad for your $$. 5-Star is just plain felt. ThinLine's Felt pads are felt plus their shock absorbing ThinLine material.

Colorado Dobes 05-20-2009 09:17 AM

Oh, gotcha. Well thanks for your input!

iridehorses 05-20-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 309760)
They're nice, but overpriced IMO. People who buy them, like them. They are good felt pads, just too expensive to me. .

I tried a knockoff of a 5 Star and it isn't holding up well. It is a 100% wool contoured pad with wear leathers but after about 6 months of riding, it is shredding up by the gullet. I looked at the 5 Star and the density of the wool is far superior to the knockoff I bought. The one I bought was a Reinsman at about $75 compared to the 5 Star at $150.

The last pad I bought lasted me ~10 years so spending that kind of money and averaging it out over the life expectancy isn't so bad.

BTW, I'm looking at the Thinline pad myself. I like what I've read about them.

Colorado Dobes 05-20-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 310685)
I tried a knockoff of a 5 Star and it isn't holding up well. It is a 100% wool contoured pad with wear leathers but after about 6 months of riding, it is shredding up by the gullet. I looked at the 5 Star and the density of the wool is far superior to the knockoff I bought. The one I bought was a Reinsman at about $75 compared to the 5 Star at $150.

The last pad I bought lasted me ~10 years so spending that kind of money and averaging it out over the life expectancy isn't so bad.

That is good to know about the knockoffs. The two I bought are both original 5-Stars. I love the classifieds section on barrel horse world. I was able to get two almost new pads for less than what the new ones cost. A lot of times you can find deals on ones that people ordered that weren't the right thickness for them or whatever.

luvs2ride1979 05-20-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 310685)

Ah, well, that is a good value then! The ThinLine's felt isn't all that dense, but the ThinLine material protects the top of the pad from getting worn or rubbed by the saddle.

I bet a ThinLine Half pad over a 5-Star would be a killer combination, lol. You'd have to go with a thinner 5-Star though, like their 1/2" or 3/4" pad.

reining girl 05-21-2009 01:22 PM

i think the 5 stars are over priced. i like classic equine and professionals choice, you get a awsome pad for the money and they last a long long long time. they have awsome colors and patterns, and great material for the horse.

Horsegma 05-21-2009 06:38 PM

I just bought two 5 Stars and am very, very happy with them.

I was going to go with a cheaper one like Classic Equine but I have never heard a bad review on the 5 Stars and thought I will just do it right this time.

It took me FOREVER to decide cut and thickness.

At this point I won't buy anything else ever.