The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Feeding Sunflower Seeds? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feeding-sunflower-seeds-28035/)

Eolith 05-18-2009 11:28 PM

Feeding Sunflower Seeds?

Has anyone here heard of feeding sunflower seeds to horses in order to improve their coat and skin condition? It's become something of a fad at my barn, especially because it really does seem to work as far as skin and coat condition and the horses eat them readily. I was just wondering whether there's any chance the sunflower seeds might not be good for them? They're the type you'd normally feed to wild birds. Black oil sunflower seeds I think.

None of the horses at the barn seem to be suffering any ill effect, and if it really is okay, it's a fantastic cheap way of keeping coats sleek and shiny.

appylover31803 05-18-2009 11:50 PM

A pony that was at my boarding barn got I believe a handful of Black oil sunflower seeds 2x a day.
Her coat did seem to improve, though she wasnt around long enough to really see a difference.

MyBoyPuck 05-19-2009 12:09 AM

I think ground flax or rice bran are both supposed to do wonders for coat condition.

Peggysue 05-19-2009 09:41 AM

I tried it for two weeks and my horses were bouncing off the fence literally as in Lazy who is scared todeath of my elec rope ran threw it, Moosa Man who has NEVER in his life reared Reared ontop of my son adn Sassy was trying to tie up on me... there is nothing in the BOSS to cause this behavior BUT it is the ONLY change that was made unless somebody was sneaking feed into them

now that being said
BOSS is high in fat and calories and omega 6 fatty acids
it is said to help skin, hooves and weight gain

hhadavis 05-20-2009 10:10 AM

I use it and it works great for their coat...I have 3, and I put just a handful of their grain (which I feed once a day...My two paints dont seem to like it as much as my walker loves it...course the walker loves everything and will try just about anything. I actually mix the sunflower seeds with some alfalfa pellets (separate bin from their grain) and add a handful of that to the strategy (the strategy is a scoop for the boys and a scoop and a half for my mare, shes a harder keeper). Gives them a added variety and using so little of the seed/alfalfa pellets goes a long way. It has turned out to be a good combo, my horses are looking fantastic.

StarFeesh 05-20-2009 08:01 PM

I've used them plenty of times before. Great results, very cheap. xD

AussieDaisyGirl 05-21-2009 06:49 PM

I have used them too and loved the results. I haven't had any behavioural changes out of it.

Jubilee Rose 05-21-2009 07:47 PM

This may be an ignorant question... but are they being fed with the shells and all? The only thing I could see with feeding this is that it might be a bit harder to digest.

I personally use ground flax seed. It easily can be added to grain and also makes the coat look great!

Peggysue 05-21-2009 08:44 PM

The shell on BOSS is actually sofer then an oat shell so no it does not have to be ground at all ..

AussieDaisyGirl 05-22-2009 12:19 AM

I agree with Peggysue, the shells are softer. I haven't had any personal experience with ground flax but I've heard it's very good.