The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What should I be feeding him? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-should-i-feeding-him-28049/)

crystal8489 05-19-2009 10:18 AM

What should I be feeding him?

I have a yearling Arabian colt. He currently is getting four pounds of all-grain a day. 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. If he is in his stall he gets continuous hay and outside he has all the grass he needs. He is not skinny or anything I just want to make sure he is getting what he needs. Or if I should be feeding him something specific with him being young. Let me know any advice you have... Thanks a bunch!!:D

county 05-19-2009 10:36 AM

I've always fed my yearlings free choice alfalfa/grass hay and or grass, 2 lbs of oats twice a day, and free choice salt and free choice min/via in block form. They've always looked, grown, and performed great.

crystal8489 05-19-2009 10:40 AM

okay thanks!! anybody else?

luvs2ride1979 05-19-2009 12:12 PM

If he's on grass hay, I would be giving him 2 lbs of oats, 2 lbs of alfalfa pellets, and SmartVita Foal, no grain or sweet feeds. I prefer a more "natural" diet, as much as is possible. Alfalfa is high in protein and amino acids, oats are a great "energy" grain that's safe on the system, and the SmartVite will provide all the vitamins and minerals he might be missing from the hay/pasture. You can add a dash of oil or water to make it all stick.

He should also be getting as much turn out as possible, preferably 24/7, just in to eat his "goodies". Pasture time is very important for developing bones and muscle.

crystal8489 05-19-2009 08:16 PM

okay thanks for that. so How should I change over to that kind of feeding program?? and he is out 24/7 unless its storming/ raining but other than that he is out.thanks for your reply anybody else?

riccil0ve 05-19-2009 10:02 PM

I have a 9 month old and she gets as much orchard hay as she can eat, all day pasture, [every other day she gets to munch on the GREEN pasture] and about half a coffee can of alfalfa pellets. She has access to a mineral block, and I'm starting her on corn oil to help get her coat nice and shiny. I don't know if I'm doing anything the "right" way, but she's put on weight, and looks a lot better than when I got her two months ago. Maybe it's just that she started shedding, but I think the better diet has done her some good.

March 26th, the day I brought her home...
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...74be002fd7.jpg

And this was taken two days ago...
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...ve/kyfk043.jpg

She is still a little thin, but she gets about two flakes a day and all day pasture, so we're getting there. =]

crystal8489 05-19-2009 10:13 PM

yeah she looks good, Saban has a really nice coat to me its all shiny and stuff since he shed out I just want to make sure he is getting the proper nutrients.. :)

luvs2ride1979 05-20-2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystal8489 (Post 310202)
okay thanks for that. so How should I change over to that kind of feeding program?? and he is out 24/7 unless its storming/ raining but other than that he is out.thanks for your reply anybody else?

Give him half and half for a week, then switch totally. Most horses do very well going from a high sugar/starch diet to a forage based diet. It's the other way that can cause colic.

luvs2ride1979 05-20-2009 08:36 AM

She's looking good ricci! Just keep it up. You might want to increase the Alfalfa pellets, along with adding the oil. If she doesn't respond to oil, try milled flax. Some horses gain weight with oil and some don't. Those that don't, usually resond to flax or stabilized rice bran well, both of which will improve the coat too.

crystal8489 05-30-2009 09:41 PM

I bought Saban a mineral block and I put it out about two or three days ago and today it is gone, Is that normal for them to eat it that quick? will it hurt him>? if not should I go buy him another one? Thanks guys!