The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   stallion growth age behavior questions (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/stallion-growth-age-behavior-questions-280498/)

darkiss4428 09-21-2013 02:43 AM

stallion growth age behavior questions

ok were gonna say twitch is about 2 years old he is about 14 hands we think he is a twh or a tb how tall do you think he will be?
also he is a stallion what age will he start acting like a stud and what do i need to train him while he is this young to keep him manageable untill he is gelded?
and last will he get bigger as a stallion or as a gelding im told differant things i do not plan to breed him but would like the most of his size since he is rather small to me now

Chiilaa 09-21-2013 08:40 AM

Testosterone has be shown to cause growth plates to fuse earlier than if there was no testosterone present, which means that geldings tend to be taller than stallions.

darkiss4428 09-21-2013 09:12 AM

what age is best for gelding?

MyLittlePonies 09-21-2013 09:25 AM

Any time after their testicles are dropped. But there are some that are Cryptoids. Even right now it's a great time when he's not acting like a stallion.

Endiku 09-21-2013 09:35 AM

Technically Twitch can be gelded now, but since he is still so malnourished, you may want to give him 2-3 more months of good food. That way the flies will be gone (winter) by then and the gelding will be easier on him anyways.

Until then, just handle him very firmly. Don't let him in pens with mares, and don't let him get away with being in your personal space, nipping, kicking, etc.,

MyLittlePonies 09-21-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 3688874)
Technically Twitch can be gelded now, but since he is still so malnourished, you may want to give him 2-3 more months of good food. That way the flies will be gone (winter) by then and the gelding will be easier on him anyways.

Until then, just handle him very firmly. Don't let him in pens with mares, and don't let him get away with being in your personal space, nipping, kicking, etc.,

I didn't realize the situation. This is the best solution. Once he's back to health get him gelded and don't let him get away with ANYTHING. No calling out, kicking, biting, nipping, and teach him to keep his space. If his hormones act up and he doesn't have a sense of space he could hurt you by accident.

Endiku 09-21-2013 09:48 AM

Yes, this young stallion is newly acquired by Darkiss and is gaining weight steadily, but he was probably a 1 1/2-2 on the body scale so I'd be a little wary of sedating him for gelding just yet. If he's still a bit thin at the time of gelding he should be fine, but right now he's probably still weak and his immune system is compromised.

dbarabians 09-21-2013 10:04 AM

Once again we get good advice from Endiku. Shalom

darkiss4428 09-21-2013 10:27 AM

thanks guys and he hasen't shown any calling or scenting or even any intrest in mares at all he is in his own paddock with a gelding it is reenforced for stallions we are working on personal space and nipped kicking in the but the first time it happened and no nipping vet wants to wait till about febuary or march but i want what is best for him

when his hormones start up what can i expect? i've seen wild crazy studs that are nuts and i've seen really well handled studs that are respectfull but i know it took working with them to make them like that

also twitch has gained weight well i posted new pictures day before yesterday in my journal of them ^__^

Endiku 09-21-2013 05:16 PM

February sounds like a good plan, unless he just gets SUPER studdish before then and you feel like you can't handle him. That will give him time to recuperate but it will still be nice and chilly so there won't be flies to worry about. Jan-Feb is about the time of year that we do all of our geldings and it works great.

When his hormones start up you can pretty much expect him to want to pay attention only to females and to want to do anything possible to get to him. If you correct his behavior as it appears though, and never give an inch to him, he should be manageable at least short-term. I'm glad he has a good fence between him and Rouge. It sounds like you're doing a great job with them.

dbar- thank you ^_^ I've learned pretty much all I know from all of y'all, I'm just good at remembering it and passing it along! lol