The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swollen flap of skin between hind legs on my mare?

10K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Vidaloco 
#1 ·
Rode my older mare last night (nothing strenuous, just walking and a few seconds of slow trot, we are just starting her annual spring rehab); when I got off and groomed her more thoroughly I noticed this:

Rear view:

From underneath in the front:

It doesn't appear to be causing her any discomfort, she let me touch it without a problem. She isn't walking or moving weirdly because of it; it feels medium-firm but not hard and I honestly can't tell what it is. Wrong shape/ sensation to be a tumor and weird place for a hernia. I thought I'd ask if anyone on here had any ideas or has seen this before I call the vet.

This is the first time I've noticed this and I usually give her a really good once over twice a week; however my boyfriend and I have been moving the past couple weeks and I've only been out to really give them their supplements and say hi; so it could have been there longer.

Thanks in advance :)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
She may have an infected mammary duct. You probably need to have her checked by your vet and most likely put on some antibiotics. I was going to say mastitis but she isn't getting any discharge from her teets right?
Have you tried to milk her? if you get a yellowish discharge, the udder and bag feel warm, then for sure she has an infection or mastitis and needs attention asap. It can cause permanent damage and even death.
Here is a photo of a severe case I found on google. Notice its only on one side:

#8 ·
Update

Well I went out to check on her last night (it's been gradually shrinking throughout the week) last night it was nearly completely gone-- all that's left is a little stretched out skin where it was so swollen. So I don't know if it was an infection, if it resolved itself, or if it was something else. Never really felt hotter than body temp. Either way, I'll keep my eye on it, but thanks everyone for your help :)

#11 ·
SERIOUSLY. Like I said in my OP, I give her (both of them actually) a really good go-over at least twice a week. I'll definitely keep an eye on it.

I'll give her a bath this weekend too... she gets them pretty regularly but we've been moving, so I haven't had time to give her one recently.

Thanks again everyone for your help :)

#12 ·
When she gets her bath you might let the cold water run on her bag. It might further help the swelling go down. She may not like it at first till she figures out it feels good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.