The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   a bit ewe necked... (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/bit-ewe-necked-28057/)

hotreddun 05-19-2009 02:25 PM

a bit ewe necked...

My new horse has a tendency to want to be ewe necked (sp?). He does flex down in to the bit under saddle after gently squeezing my fist around the reins...like squeezing a sponge...and circle work. But he always starts out the next ride ewe necked again. He also has a tendency to fall in the circle on his left lead.

He is under muscled...due to the seller not working him for about 6 months prior to me buying. I thought unsaddled work might help so that he could feel how to use his body without me in the saddle to worry about...also I thought I could do it during the day with my daughter in one arm.

I thought maybe side reins? I've never worked with side reins before...as I have always been the "ride it out" kind of person. Would side reins help this problem? I was thinking maybe 15 minutes 3 mornings a week in side reins in the round pen?

eventerdrew 05-19-2009 02:39 PM

i think the term ewe necked is referring to the muscling and conformation of a horse's neck, not just how he holds it....

but anyway... side reins would definitely help him. it makes him gain muscle in his topline so he feels more comfortable putting his head in a frame. start out slow. Since this horse is undermuscled, let him get used to the idea of just going up a few holes. in other words- don't just crank it and make him put his head in a frame. that will hurt even more. But i'm sure you knew that!

every couple of days/weeks (whichever makes him more comfortable and it depends on how fast he builds muscle) bump the holes up.

good luck!

hotreddun 05-19-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eventerdrew (Post 310005)
i think the term ewe necked is referring to the muscling and conformation of a horse's neck, not just how he holds it....

I don't think its a conformation thing...and he doesn't have the "backwards muscle" where it looks like the neck is upside down....I have seen a horse like that before. I think its just lack of topline. Thanks for the tips. Do you prefer the nylon or leather side reins?

eventerdrew 05-19-2009 03:06 PM

no i was just referencing to how the term is usually used :)

I prefer nylon with the rings over the leather with buckle holes. They are more easily adjusted and usually have some elastic to give a little.

dressagebelle 05-19-2009 06:23 PM

I personally don't think there is any significant difference between nylon and leather side reins. One is just a little easier to care for. I always get the side reins that have the rubber donut on them as its a lot nicer for them, and has better give.