The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Thinking of moving my horse (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/thinking-moving-my-horse-28064/)

newhorsemom 05-19-2009 04:19 PM

Thinking of moving my horse

I have an opportunity to move Lily and I think I will try it but I'm having a little reservation about it. Currently she is boarded at my MIL's place and it is a wonderful little farm. She has a 12x12 stall that is light and bright, with a good size paddock attached to it. There is also a great matted aisle for grooming/tacking. She is turned out for 3-4 hrs a day on 5 acres with 2 other horses and she seems to be happy there. The problem is that it is almost an hour from our house so we only get out there about 2x per week and occasionally we won't have time to ride, only clean stalls and give her a quick grooming. So she is happy, but not getting much attention.

The place I'm thinking of will cost us some money - about $100 more a month (after we add up the gas & mileage going to MIL) and it's only about 3/4 of an acre or so but there is a stall is open to it so she'll have full time access to pasture. It is less than a mile from our house so we can see her daily. As far as feeding goes it is the same set up as MIL - they feed and we buy the hay. She'll be alone temperarily but only for a few weeks to a month. There is a very nice woman who lives near the new place and she has an arena and we've talked about me using it, but haven't confirmed anything concrete. Hopefully we can work something out and that would certainly influence my decision to move.

I just feel bad about moving her from the land because I know she enjoys to get out and run and buck with the other horses. I guess my MIL would let us come back if it doesn't work out. It just seems like a big move and I'm not 100% sure!

I guess I should also mention that MIL is very controlling and has a bit of an edge to her. If you have ever read any of my other posts I guess you know that by now!!! :wink:

rosie9r 05-19-2009 11:47 PM

I am moving my horse as well. Where he is now, is costing me about 200 a month in gas because it is at the top of a mountain. I am moving him to a private stable 2 miles from my house and I plan on riding a bicycle to the stable. But I am leaving behind riding friends...

I think you should go with whichever situation works best for you and your horse.

newhorsemom 05-20-2009 10:11 AM

I guess I'm a bit torn because I know Lily loves her acreage and stablemates but we she currently doesn't get much attention. There are also some fun places to ride and explore, but I guess it doesn't matter if we don't have the time to explore anyway!

If I move her she'll lose her 5 acres for a small pasture and she'll be alone for a little while but she'll get daily attention. I guess my fear is that she'll go from a happy horse to a not-very-happy horse.

It's best for us to have her close I'm just not sure she'll be as happy. The new place is in a neighborhood so there isn't any place to ride (other than the neighbor's arena) unless we trailer her. Right now we take her out about once a month and go for walks and lead the kids.

QtrHorse 05-20-2009 11:43 AM

Horses need another equine companion that they can see, hear and socially interact with. I have heard of some horses who have done just fine alone but that is the exception to the rule. Here, it is illegal to keep a horse alone and I would be reluctant to put any of my horses in a solitude situation for more than a day or so. I would hate to hear that she became depressed and health or behavioral problems arose as a result of it (which they do).
Also, 3/4 of an acre is not pasture but a soon to be turned into dirt park. Sounds like somebody's backyard.
I would only suggest some further thought based on what you have written. Is the move in the best interest of your horse?
Good luck.

redneckprincess70 05-21-2009 01:17 AM

I know exactly how you feel. Kay stays at my MIL, which is about a half hour away. When I go during the week, I have time to clean her stall and groom then MIL always has some other job she wants help with or an errand she needs run. I've considered moving Kay closer but would have to pay boarding and the only boarding stable close have the attitude of "it's our barn, so your horse is ours too!" I know she's happy where she is. However the only time I get to spend with her and ride is on the weekends when my husband is there and can divert his Mom. The only problem there is HE doesn't get to enjoy the horses or help me if I need it.
Good Luck, I know it's a tough decision.

Joshie 05-23-2009 08:12 PM

Your feed costs could be much higher at the closer place due to the lack of grass. I'd not think it would be good to move her to a place without other horses. I'd wait until there's another horse there. What happens if no other horses show up? Are you sure that horses are allowed at the place with less than an acre?