The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Adding Oil? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/adding-oil-28074/)

mojo7777 05-19-2009 08:08 PM

Adding Oil?

I'm in love with the results of my Enrich 32 (Purina forage balancer) experiment. Mo is shiny, muscley and wonderful. However, he is now in a different pasture with more nutritious grazing, clover, alfalfa mixed in with the other grasses. I'm thinking of switching to Enrich 12 for the lower protein content, but it does not contain oil--which I think is at least partly responsible for Mo's brilliant hair coat at the moment. Feed gurus... I'm thinking of adding a little rice bran oil to his enrich 12 to make up the difference. Good idea, and if so, how much per day? Thanks!!!

rosie9r 05-20-2009 12:35 AM

I give my TB rice bran oil, he gets 2 cups a day. Before you use oil, you should check the fat content of the feed you are using. I use mine with Ultium, so Im not sure what Enrich 12 has in it.

mojo7777 05-21-2009 12:00 AM

That's a lot of oil. No wonder it comes in such big bottles! Mojo is an easy keeper, though, even though a TB. (I'm partial to TBs too.) Thanks for the input! Anyone else feeding oil?

lovemyponies 05-21-2009 07:47 AM

many of our horses get a little bit of corn oil added to their feed, (usually the ones who are more difficult keepers) but seems to help keep their coats shiny too. I've also heard flax seed and wheat germ oil are good

lovemyponies 05-21-2009 07:51 AM

with wheat germ oil you only add about a tablespoon daily

kitten_Val 05-21-2009 08:28 AM

I add just corn or veggie oil to both mine. Like 1/4 of cup once a day. Actually I also add one hand of BOSS twice a day.

Erin_And_Jasper 05-21-2009 05:11 PM

i give jasper about 1 cup of corn oil per feeding.

twogeldings 05-21-2009 07:35 PM

I give a dollop of corn oil over everyones feed twice a day. To early to report results yet...but I'm crossing my fingers for weight gain and shinier coats :D

Peggysue 05-22-2009 08:27 AM

First how much clover and such is in the pasture?? If it is less then 50% legume type forages just leave him on the Enrich32 ..

Secondly oil has been shown to prohibit the absortion of some nutriteints..

luvs2ride1979 05-22-2009 09:59 AM

Rice bran oil is a nice addition. I would start with just 1/4 cup per day. Fortified Wheat Germ oil also works nicely, and is usually less expensive.

Too much oil, or any corn oil, can be bad for nutrient absorption. Corn oil can also increase inflammation in arthritic horses. However, products like flax, rice bran, or black oil sunflower seeds ALL contain oil, so a small amounts of the right kind of oil are just fine and can be beneficial. Good flax is up to 50% oil in its milled form ;-).