The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Dont know what to do.... =( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/dont-know-what-do-%3D-28090/)

Jillyann 05-19-2009 09:32 PM

Dont know what to do.... =(

okay so, 'someone' i know has 3 horses, and they are more so 'lawn ornaments' then pets. They are not in good conditions what so ever, but the owner REALLY does love them. The horses hoofs have not been properly trimmed in SOME time. They are well ever grown, and im worried it may start to cause hoof / leg problems, if it already hasnt. They are a good 2-4 inches too long. One of the horses' hoofs has what looks to be, 'broken' or 'chipped' off, just the front hoofs though. Not sure if it was the owner who did it them selves, OR if the hoof just broke off itsself. :-(

Here are my options, I could talk to the owner about it, and risk losing a good family friend, or just call anonymously to the local humane society, and hope that something happends.. im stuck because im one of those people who wants to help every animal, but i dont know what to do in this situation.

What would you guys suggest?! :-|

riccil0ve 05-19-2009 09:45 PM

Hmm... if you have a good relationship with this person, maybe you could try talking to them about it? You can just say, "Oh, I have this great farrier who gives you a great deal... do you want their number?" However, if you think this person will not take the idea well, definitely call the humane society. They will keep it anonymous. It may be your best choice of action, although I know from experience that something doesn't always happen if they don't feel the horse is "mistreated" enough. =| Is there a way you can get over there and take some pictures to show someone?

county 05-19-2009 09:54 PM

I would never go behind someones back unless a law is being broken. If its against the law report it if its not and you still think they should do what you want tell them. They then have the option of doing it or ignoring you.

NorthernMama 05-19-2009 09:56 PM

That's a tough call. If you know the person fairly well, you should have some kind of idea how they will react if you approach them positively about their horses. You might want to conveniently stop by while you're riding your own horse if that's possible. It's really easy to start talking about horses when you have your own right beside you. Then, as Ricci posted, you could offer up some avenues of action without accusing them of anything.

It really does depend on how they take your "chat." You could even just ask how they are doing with their horses. Maybe you've noticed that they've been busy and commiserate with how YOU find it hard to balance everything in a day too. It's so easy to lose track of time and when the last time the hooves were done, worming was done, etc. etc. In a general conversational sort of way. You kind of have to feel it out. If it feels awkward or negative in any way, don't do it. Maybe there is a mutual aquaintance that you could mention it to and ask that person how you could help?

It's tough.

LeahKathleen 05-19-2009 09:57 PM

County, it is against the law not to provide minimum care to animals - for horses, that includes trimming their hooves regularly - these horses clearly need a trim before they injure their pasterns and legs and become crippled.

county 05-19-2009 09:59 PM

Like I said if the laws being broken I'd report it. In this state what was described is not illegal I have no idea the law regarding it in other states. I wouldn't leave them grow that long myself but their not my horses.

Jillyann 05-20-2009 07:59 AM

Thanks everyone. I am going to talk to someone to talk to the horse owner. Because im not at close to the owner as this person is.

And sorry im not mentioning if its a female or male and i keep using 'they' or 'someone' and yada yada.. i'd just rather not.

nldiaz66 05-21-2009 08:54 AM

sounds like you have a neighbor like me, except she has told me,''my horses hooves havent been trimmed in 5 yrs. and they eat whatever I eat and she goes on and on like shes proud of it..and someone did call animal services on her, and they said your horses look good, even though her horses on up to weight all she feeds them is alfahia hay, her palomino is so fat you cant even see the base of his tail, they are in very bad shape, now they are limping.of course she blamed me for calling, but I told her if I did I would tell you. poor, poor horses:cry:

Jillyann 05-21-2009 02:22 PM

yeah, its really hard. =((