The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   bosal vs. snaffle help I'm so confused! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bosal-vs-snaffle-help-im-so-28095/)

restless spirit 05-19-2009 11:03 PM

bosal vs. snaffle help I'm so confused!

Hey I bought a gelding 3 weeks ago and the previous owners used a bosal because he always flipped his tongue over the bit. But I'm not experienced enough to control him In case he spooks... I bought him a snaffle with copper rollies and he doesn't like it much but I put it on him twice and after a while he stopped playing with it but if I pulled right or left he'd start again..( this was only done on the ground. But he also neckreined so I was hoping to ride him this weekend and was wondering should I use the snaffle bit or wait to get a bosal or would it be okay to go in a halter and neckrein him with it? Also any tips to make the transition from a bosal to a bit any smoother? I don't want him to end up being impossible to bridal cuz he's already starting to resent the contraption lol thanks for any posts

riccil0ve 05-19-2009 11:48 PM

I would try a nice big jointed snaffle, maybe even rubber coated. As for him getting his tongue over it, a flash on his noseband might help, but it sounds like you are riding western so maybe not since it's an english contraption. =]

Bitless bridles, bossals, and hackamores can be just as easy as a bridle and bit. If your horse responds well without a bit, I wouldn't necessarily switch him over. If you are really uncomfortable with your ability to control him then by all means, switch, it won't hurt him any. Just get him a very mild bit and introduce it slowly. You can lunge him in a bridle until he is used to it in his mouth, and then be very gentle with your hands while riding him in it. And it is totally okay to ride in a halter and neck rein, assuming he is responsive enough. =]

restless spirit 05-20-2009 10:13 AM

Thanx for your post:) I'm gonna try the halter this weekend and he's very responsive to leg commands...

Alicia 05-21-2009 12:07 AM

I wouldn't fight him on this. I would use the halter and neck rein him for now until you can get a bosal. One thing I've learned with working with any animal is use what works and he seems to respond better with the bosal. If he has been trained to use the bosal then I think you should be able to control him just fine.

smrobs 05-21-2009 08:48 AM

I agree with Alicia, a halter should work fine until you decide what you want to do. If you want to start him in the bit and are already having problems, you might want to have his teeth checked. If they are in good shape, you could try putting a bit/bridle on him without anything attached to the bit and use a halter to steer him. Just let him carry it around for a while until he figures out that it won't hurt him. Letting him graze on a lead with the bit in will help too. When you start using the bit to direct him, remember to use only light pressure and release the instant that he gives. It is almost like teaching a green horse how to give to bit pressure, you just have the added advantage that he is already broke. Although if you decide to stick with a bosal, you should have no problems at all controlling him if that is what he has been ridden in until now.

Also, if he has a problem with putting his tongue over the bits, you might want to try a ported snaffle. That should help a little.