The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Fed Up with Boarding Stable (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/fed-up-boarding-stable-28104/)

rosie9r 05-20-2009 12:59 AM

Fed Up with Boarding Stable

SO I am fed up with my boarding stable management!! Tonight I went out to turn out the TB and found a thick 4 inch screw in his hind left! It was buried in between his frog and the bulb. UGH! And he was finally sound too. :twisted:

The filly next to my TB is lame now and on muscle relaxers after rolling on rebar in her stall. When we told the barn manager, they did nothing about it and we had to dig out the rebar ourselves, along with 4 big sharp rocks in the round pen.

Its a full service stable, 24 by 36 pipe corrals. Me and the owner of the filly are moving our horses at the end of the month. It will be smaller stalls, but I will be able to do all my own upkeep since it is 2 miles from my house.

Its so frustrating when you put your horses under someone else's care and it makes then UNhealthy. Grrrr.

Trissacar 05-20-2009 01:02 AM

I know I've been through some nightmare barns myself. I have no desire to go back.

Whipple 05-20-2009 03:17 AM

Oh wow! I cant believe this place is even doing business. Well good for you for leaving, nobody should have to put up with that crap.

Tayz 05-20-2009 03:28 AM

Thats awful :(
I would defiently take my horse out of the boarding stable :(

Fire Eyes 05-20-2009 05:20 AM

I've had problems with boarding stables before. :/ Once I found my mare tangles in loose barbed wire. D: I was so so mad! The only thing you can really do is move, or talk to the owner. :/ Good luck with the new place.

Miss Katie 05-20-2009 05:40 AM

Or sue :(

hotreddun 05-20-2009 11:11 AM

Boarding stables...uggh. It's so much more work to keep horses at home and you always have to worry about vacations. But so much more pleasant. My horse lost the tip of his ear at a boarding stable...I vowed to always keep him at home if at all possible. Good luck with your move.

NicoleS11 05-20-2009 11:52 AM

Thats why i would never board a horse. I know some times it just has to be done. When i moved to Alberta i left my horses with my mom in BC till i settled down and we bought an acerage. Then every weekend went for a trip and slowly brought them all up to Alberta...so much better having them at home!

That really sucks! Good idea to move!

mls 05-20-2009 12:34 PM

Once again I am going to step in and defend the majority of the boarding facilities and BM/BO's out there.

#1 - Interview. Ask any and all questions you can think of. If the answers are satisfactory - don't come back and complain later.

#2 - Tour. If you see things that need to be fixed, cleaned, etc and you still move in - no right to complain. Do not base your decision on plans the management has.

#3 - Horses are horses. We cannot tell them to not play or argue. Personalities can and do change in different situations.

#4 - IF things change - management, feeding practices, etc - COMMUNICATE with the individual(s) that can help.

Horse boarding is only a slight step down stress wise from human childcare. As BO/BM's we try and try and try but will be unable to please everyone all the time.

I'm going to assume everything was not always awful at each of the barns you guys are complaining about.

jackieboy2 05-20-2009 01:17 PM

ugh I was at a horrible barn about a year ago. Luckily we lived across the street, so we took care of our horse ourselves b/c these people were CRAZY! My parents bought our little farm we have now, so that we could have our horses with us, and never have to worry about their care again. I would have a hard time boarding again.