The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Opinions on Phoenix Renew Gold (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/opinions-phoenix-renew-gold-281050/)

DraftyAiresMum 09-21-2013 10:18 PM

Opinions on Phoenix Renew Gold

Ok, so I was at EquiFest today and decided to stop and talk to the guy at the Phoenix Company booth. I told him how big Aires is (16.1-16.2hh and around 1500lbs) and how much he eats (he gets alfalfa for dinner and grass hay for breakfast and lunch, and generally eats about 2.5 bales per week). I explained that several people have mentioned that he could use some weight, but that he's not in horrible condition. He's not going through a growth spurt (at least not right now lol), so his lack of condition is partly needing weight and partly needing muscle. I also explained that he's green broke and we will be getting into more serious work in the next week or so.

The rep seemed to be of the opinion that Renew Gold would be ideal for Aires to help him put on weight/condition, especially since he's still growing.

Any opinions on Renew Gold?

We're sorely limited on what we have available in my area, which is kind of weird, since we are in ranching country. However, most people in my area don't feed anything other than alfalfa and grass, along with grazing. Where Aires is, there is no grazing available (hopefully that will change when we get our own place and I can bring him home).
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 09-22-2013 02:32 AM

First, does he have hay leftover at the next feeding? If not, more hay would help, maybe upping the alfalfa, for the protein he needs to build muscle. Vit/min or ration balancer, to make sure he's not lacking any important nutrients, and if that's not doing the trick, a fat supplement like the Renew would certainly help.
There is a thread about it from Oldhorselady currently going. Maybe you can look it up?

DraftyAiresMum 09-22-2013 02:47 AM

I saw it, but thought what was being said applied to ESPM horses.

Your first question is a difficult one to answer, as half the time he is turned out for breakfast and lunch and is sharing his hay pile with a couple of other geldings. We've always joked that his nickname should be "Hoover," because he never leaves a scrap of hay behind. At our previous barn, he was getting about 15lbs of hay per feeding (give or take), but only fed twice a day.

I'm not sure if my BO would up his hay amount (with the price of hay right now, I don't blame her, especially since she charges so little for board). However, I wonder about adding alfalfa (or alfalfa/Bermuda mix) pellets to his breakfast. As long as you provide them, the BO has no problem feeding supplements/grain/pellets. She doesn't seem to think that Aires is underweight/under conditioned.

I do also plan on getting him loose mineral salt, as he had a mineral lick at our old barn and he LOVED it (would literally just sit there for hours and lick his salt kick).
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 09-22-2013 10:47 AM

Alright, just told me right there where the problems are lol. Haypellets, soaked, would probably best, I'd opt for alfalfa, more calories than grasspellets. Then add a vit/ min supplement( ShoGlo for example,), or the famous RB, and a saltlick, and watch for about a month. Alfalfa hay would probably be cheaper but with him sharing hay, it would feed everybody else also lol.
if you see not enough results, it's time for a fat supplement.

DraftyAiresMum 09-22-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 3696978)
Alright, just told me right there where the problems are lol. Haypellets, soaked, would probably best, I'd opt for alfalfa, more calories than grasspellets. Then add a vit/ min supplement( ShoGlo for example,), or the famous RB, and a saltlick, and watch for about a month. Alfalfa hay would probably be cheaper but with him sharing hay, it would feed everybody else also lol.
if you see not enough results, it's time for a fat supplement.

See? This is why I love this forum. :-)

Last time I bought pellets (which, admittedly, was a year ago), an 80# bag was $18 and lasted us about two months (feeding ~2lbs per day). I'm sure it's gone up, but I don't recall seeing the same bag over $25 the last time I was in the feed store. Hay here is anywhere from $18 to $26 per bale, depending on what you buy and where.
Posted via Mobile Device

deserthorsewoman 09-22-2013 01:50 PM

I've seen 50# for 15 around here, so should be a little less in your part.
Oh, and since he's not on grass, just like mine, look into flaxseed for the good omega's. I have them ordered at the feedmill, 50# for around 30$. 4 oz/day, ground, so the birds don't pick apart the poop before I get to it. That'll give him some fat also.

winwillows 09-30-2013 12:55 PM

Renew Gold question

If you can get your barn owner to add a few pounds of alfalfa pellets to the program you should see some basic improvement over a straight grass program. All grass hays have a fast transit time through the hind gut. Alfalfa slows that system down somewhat allowing more complete digestion of the grass hay if the hind gut function is good. Renew Gold can help normalize the system for that efficiency.