The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Myler bits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/myler-bits-28106/)

RedHawk 05-20-2009 03:09 AM

Myler bits

I have been looking into Myler bits recently, but if I was to get one, I'm unsure as to which type to get.
I like the idea of this for the tongue relief: http://mylerbitsusa.com/images/comfort_snaffle/4.jpg

but having done some reading I'm wondering if I should just go with the basic mouth piece in a loose-ring:
http://mylerbitsusa.com/images/comfort_snaffle/2.jpg

My horse is a 7yo OTTB, green, starting to break at the poll and we have moments of collection and then we lose it again, although I think this is more due to lack of muscle and an inability to hold a frame for a length of time than ignorance on his part. Starting on lateral movements - he will move off my leg but only a little. He is very honest and kind, and we don't have any problems with our current bit (below)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g74/4them/fdf4_11.jpg
but I just wonder if me may just like the Myler a bit better?

Any feedback on Mylers would be great! :D

angelsgrace 05-20-2009 05:43 AM

here is the bit i use and I love it so much it's a little bit different to yours [IMG]file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/USER%7E1.USE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]
Bit of Britain - Trusted by Top Riders Since 1986
[IMG]file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/USER%7E1.USE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///D:/DOCUME%7E1/USER%7E1.USE/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]

smrobs 05-20-2009 07:40 AM

I think Myler bits are awesome. As for the right kind, it all depends on what kind of bit your horse prefers. Whether he likes tongue relief or if he needs something without a port. I am not sure how they compare on price but Billy Allen snaffle bits are made the same way as Myler (they may be cheaper too, I'm not sure). Just thought you might like to know that as another option.

NRS - National Ropers Supply - Western wear, horse tack, horse trailers, team roping, cowboy boots & hats

MIEventer 05-20-2009 09:05 AM

I like Mylers as well, I use the Level 1 Comfort Snaffles.
Quote:

we have moments of collection and then we lose it again, although I think this is more due to lack of muscle and an inability to hold a frame for a length of time than ignorance on his part.
The question is, how are you asking for "Collection"?

RedHawk 05-20-2009 09:26 AM

MIEventer - I started with working on flexion, lateral first and then vertical, as well as doing lots of transitions to get him listening to my leg, and I do this in our warm ups as well, on a loose rein. When I actually ask, I take up a contact, not a very tight one, and then try and get him going forward and tracking up, using lots of inside leg to outside rein, while asking for a little flexion from the inside rein. I know that collection isn't just the headset, it's about the back and hind-quarters as well, and I know that our "collection" is probably far from perfect, but it's a start.

We've been having lessons and working on this with an instructor, but due to numerous cicumstances we haven't had one in about 2 months, aside from Pony Club, and I hope to get back into a regular lessons soon.
In the mean time, if you can find any flaws in what I'm doing feel free to point them out! I'm always open to advice.

I've been meaning to post a video in the critique section, it's just a matter of finding someone to video me, lol.

smrobs - that's my dilema - I don't know which one he'd prefer. Ideally I'd borrow them off someone and try them, but no-one I know has Mylers :(
Will have a look at Billy Allens though, thanks!

MIEventer 05-20-2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

MIEventer - I started with working on flexion, lateral first and then vertical, as well as doing lots of transitions to get him listening to my leg, and I do this in our warm ups as well, on a loose rein. When I actually ask, I take up a contact, not a very tight one, and then try and get him going forward and tracking up, using lots of inside leg to outside rein, while asking for a little flexion from the inside rein. I know that collection isn't just the headset, it's about the back and hind-quarters as well, and I know that our "collection" is probably far from perfect, but it's a start.

We've been having lessons and working on this with an instructor, but due to numerous cicumstances we haven't had one in about 2 months, aside from Pony Club, and I hope to get back into a regular lessons soon.
Good for you :) Sounds like you are doing things right. Just take it slow - he is green. My TB has been off all winter due to corrective shoeing - we started to get back into work, until he decided to choke on me last weekend - so we're off again....BUT when we get back into the swing of things *knock on wood* we'll be doing lots of forward work, allowing him to search for the contact.

Weak muscles will become strong over time :) Just be paitent.

I had a good collection of Myler Bits. I was lucky to of found mine over time at tack sales. I got a bunch of mine for $10.00 each - if you look hard enough, you'll find them at great prices used.

You don't have to buy brand new.

I sold a bunch of them, and have 2 left. They are both Level 1's - Comfort Snaffle.

Level 1's were designed for horses like ours - weak muscles, starting to understand the concept of forward movement, back engagement - etc, etc - plus, only the Level 1 Comfort Snaffle Wide Barrel is accepted in the Dressage Ring - so that might help you out decision wise.

I had a Level 3 Low Ported - and it was too much.

If your horse is going great in the bit you have now, I wouldn't change things.

I do love Mylers tough, for the fact that they wonderfully designed with their mouth pieces, and I love that I can pick up one side, without effecting the other.

Have a look around on www.tacktrader.com and ebay. Also try the Bits and Barter Board - that is a forum where people sell their used tack.

RedHawk 05-20-2009 07:47 PM

Yeah, we're in no hurry ;)
I don't think I'll go out and buy a brand new Myler, but if the chance pops up to get one second-hand for a bit cheaper I'll probably get it as they sound like very nice bits. And it sounds like a level 1 is the way to go, thanks!

JustDressageIt 05-20-2009 09:06 PM

I absolutely love Mylers. Getting the right one is key - does your horse like tongue pressure? Does he hate it? Does he have a high palate or low? Big tongue or thin?

RedHawk 05-21-2009 03:01 AM

I don't know about the size of his tongue, but he does have a very low palate, I know I had him in a Tom Thumb when I bought him (the Aussie version, a true snaffle) and he hated it becasue the bars were really fat. He went much better in a thinner sweet iron loose ring.
As for whether or not he likes tongue pressure I'm not sure - ideally I'd take both of the above mentioned Myler's on trial and see which one he prefered, but I don't know of any stores that will do that here.
Is there any way I can determine whether or not he likes tongue pressure without Myler bits?

JustDressageIt 05-21-2009 10:05 PM

I would suggest, if you're looking to stick with a similar bit, to go with the shorter barrel comfort snaffle :)