The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My horse kicks when being groomed (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-kicks-when-being-groomed-281066/)

Clydesdales 09-21-2013 11:34 PM

My horse kicks when being groomed

G'day
My horse has started to kick when I brush him he never done it before he usally loves it but every time I brush near his rump he kicks violently is it pain related or just bad behavior :-(

PunksTank 09-21-2013 11:50 PM

Usually this is pain related - my first guess would be ulcers (if there's no obvious injury in this area). Is he disrespectful at other times? Does he only do it with stronger pressure or any touch at all? I would have a vet out if a typically happy horse started acting out with grooming.

Clydesdales 09-21-2013 11:59 PM

Yes he is disrespectful at other times but he knows I'm boss and hasn't gone as far as aiming a kick a me untill he get a bullseye and it wasn't under pressure !

PunksTank 09-22-2013 12:20 AM

Well I don't think getting him checked out by a vet would hurt - but if you're inclined to think it's a behavioral thing maybe some groundwork/manners building is in order?

Clydesdales 09-22-2013 12:27 AM

;-)Won't hurt to do both

TheatricalAffair 09-22-2013 02:52 PM

Stomach ulcers perhaps? Manners?
Maybe a little vet check? If it just started recently, maybe something is irritating/bothering him.

Clydesdales 09-22-2013 06:39 PM

It's hard to tell with chance because everything bothers him.
It was getting dark when I was brushing him so I might have missed something I'll have look in the sunlight today

tinyliny 09-22-2013 06:59 PM

Everything bothers him? that is something to think about. I'd hate to have a young horse that everything bothered. Do you mean things touching him? or humans holding him? being tied up? The last thing you want is to have a horse that everything bothers. you would want to work on those things before going on to anything else.

Clydesdales 09-22-2013 09:12 PM

What I mean by everything bothering him is because he is moody if he hungry and wants to get back to his mates he will chew things move around stomp his feet until he back with his mates.

Clydesdales 09-22-2013 09:14 PM

He doesn't like to be fussed over.
And he will test your limits to but when there's work to be done he's the best horse around.