The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Sunny walking.. lol:).. and 0.0 his back legs. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/sunny-walking-lol-0-0-his-281074/)

barrelbeginner 09-21-2013 11:12 PM

Sunny walking.. lol:).. and 0.0 his back legs.

okay. Here he is walking the pattern.. Not sure if there is anything to critique while walking.. but.. watch his legs AFTER 2nd barrel:shock:.. THATS what Ive been trying to get people to notice for EVER.. now..

IT was a bit muddy so its really NOT THAT bad.. but.. yeah.. my vet said setting shoes out a little will help.. what should I do?:(...? is it really that bad? TOOO bad to barrel race.. I have to work with have I have.. so no its not an option to sell and get a different horse for barrels...

MOV00D_zpsaaa7c5e2.mp4 Video by sjsj_2009 | Photobucket

OH and PS.. I dont normally FLOP onto the saddle. my foot hit the fence.. and I got all tripped up.. sooo yeah.. :)

barrelbeginner 09-22-2013 09:48 AM

bump BUMP BUMP??? anyone??

BarrelRacer23 09-22-2013 11:00 AM

I can't see the video
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 09-22-2013 12:10 PM

Are you talking about how his hocks are all weebly-wobbly? I don't know how anyone couldn't notice that. :?

Anyway, there could be a few causes of that, namely his conformation and how his feet are trimmed. Can you get good conformational pictures of him, specifically from the back? Make sure to lift or tie his tail up out of the way so that we can see his entire back leg.

Also, check the balance on his hind feet. I've been told that having one side longer than the other can cause this issue or make it worse if it's conformational.

barrelbeginner 09-22-2013 12:37 PM

Thanks smrobs. I actually did get pictures today.. let me upload them..:) and yeah:/ His feet are what you explained.. but my vet/farrier just trimmed them up about 4 weeks ago? let me get photos uploaded.. and yeah.. talking about the weebly- woobly:/

barrelbeginner 09-22-2013 12:46 PM

9 Attachment(s)
okay sorry I couldnt get his tail out of the way..( these were took this morning before I read this thread)

Also, This was after my ride today.. Does his left leg look swollen ABOVE his hock :shock::-|

EDIT: Sorry some of the pictures he didn't want to stand still

smrobs 09-22-2013 01:33 PM

I don't see any swelling above or around the hock but swelling is sometimes hard to see in pictures.

What I see is a horse that is sickle hocked, base narrow, and slightly bandy legged. That alone would explain much of the movement, but if his feet are also imbalanced, then the farrier isn't doing him any favors.

QHriderKE 09-22-2013 01:52 PM

Can you get him close to squared up for a straight on from behind photo of his hiney?

My two cents:

his pelvis is out of place or rotated.

Why?

Because when this happens, the horse will be reluctant to stand square as it is uncomfortable for them.
Also, from my books "The hind leg will be rotated out to the side from the top of the leg all the way down to the hoof giving the horse a 'toed out' conformation appearance that will be present in all gaits"

Soooo, id be looking for a chiro or massage therapist asap!

BarrelRacer23 09-22-2013 02:17 PM

He is sickle hocked. My experience with a sickle hocked horse, I had hip problems with her. She was only 2 not even being ridden and her hip would come out of place. She was quite sickle hocked, and aside from that she was built very nicely. I was told she could do barrels but would never be as competitive as she could be without her sickle hocks, because her hind end wasn't as strong. I decided not to chance it and sold her to be a trail prospect.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 09-22-2013 03:27 PM

A friend of mine had a large Appy who walked like that. it was surely conformational, but if the farrier gave him more support and balanced him well, he was not as marked in the swivel that you see from behind. the hrose really rolls on the toe, and I cant' remember if the farrier gave more support to the outside of the hoof or the inside (lateral or medial).

rather than "rolls", one might say "swivels".