The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   How high up in the levels could this horse go? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/how-high-up-levels-could-horse-281130/)

1322271927queen 09-22-2013 12:12 AM

How high up in the levels could this horse go?

I want to do combined training and I'm horse shopping. Right now I'm showing at first level in dressage and plan on going up to 3rd. Do you think this guy could make it? He's 7 years old, never been raced, 16.2hh

Kayty 09-22-2013 01:56 AM

Most horses can make 3rd level/elementary, whether they are competitive at that level is another story.
I think he's a nice mover, but a bit boring - I would love to see him choofed up a bit - the rider is allowing him to mooch around looking lovely and soft but his hocks are very slow. Put some leg on and demand that he goes forward, and see what he does. If he's got a good brain he'll be a good buy.
The canter is nice as well, some pretty reasonable jump in it. Same deal as the trot, jump on and put leg on, ride his wither up and then get some video.

He's a good looking horse with 'nice' paces. Not exciting, but definitely something you can work with and if he'll be your first horse to take to 3rd level I think he'll do a good job for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Weezilla 09-22-2013 10:17 AM

I think he would be a very nice horse to take you through 3rd. His gaits aren't huge but he isn't being asked to go forward in the video - rather, he is being presented in a hunter fashion. There's certainly more in there ;-) With correct training and riding, I've no doubt he would get you where you want to go, provided his mind is willing, and he looks like a happy mellow sort. But I'd like to see someone like your trainer ride him to see how he responds to being asked for more - more walk, more trot, etc.

(MUCH better than the draft mare, BTW)

equitate 09-22-2013 03:04 PM

Most horses can do all the movements, offer piaffe, and one tempi you dont know til you get there. Does that make them competitive? No. This horse presently is wtC but is inconsistent in bit acceptance, and is trained more as a hunter. So it is starting at the beginning, but the bones would be set, and mind is a LOT of the trainability.

MyBoyPuck 09-22-2013 06:28 PM

I like his canter. Since that gait can't be developed like a trot can, it's important to be there on conformation alone. His trot is okay, but I think there a lot more in there that can be improved upon. He is attentive to his rider and not resistant to bending which is good. He seems to have the overall good TB work ethic, and he's wicked cute. I would say he would be a great prospect for moving up the levels. If I were horse shopping, I would probably already own him.

~*~anebel~*~ 09-22-2013 11:22 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

1322271927queen 09-23-2013 03:09 AM

I was wondering about his trot. In the other video I have but can't upload he's going a little faster at trot but the movement of his hind legs is still the same: up and down instead of forward and ground covering. I'm going to go try him and see if I can get him to cover more ground at trot instead of just trotting faster. Maybe on the lunge with no rider he'll trot different. He could just have undeveloped muscles for covering ground, then again he's jumping 2'0 from a slow trot and he just started jumping.

Weezilla 09-23-2013 10:46 AM

There's a saying in dressage. You make the trot; you buy the canter and walk. In other words, since the trot simply shows a lack of impulsion, I wouldn't worry a bit about that. From what I see, I have no doubt there's more trot in there-he's just not being asked for it as per the rider's preferences and training requirements. He has 3 very decent gaits, and the canter shows reach. He looks to have a good build and a lovely thick neck at the shoulders. He is not 'false round" or BTV. Its difficult finding all these qualities in one horse.

This horse has a looseness in his movement that I haven't often seen in TBs - I honestly thought he was a warmblood x TB. Most of all, he looks very rideable and trainable. doesn't look spooky, the rider carrying/switching crop doesn't faze him, he pops up the little bank without a thought, he seems quite broke. I think he's quite a find - if the price is right and he vets and you like him.

1322271927queen 10-06-2013 11:51 AM

Nevermind Someone Stole Him

He was sold. I wish I had lived closer to where he was so I could've tried him.