The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How did you cope? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-did-you-cope-28121/)

Lucara 05-20-2009 01:49 PM

How did you cope?

So its been over a year since I had to give away Samson. I hate myself to this day for giving him away since the lady barely had him 2 months before she traded him off for a QH. :evil: Ohhh if murder wasn't illegal...

Anyway, I'll admit that some days go by and I don't even think about him but lately for some reason I've felt very worried about him. I was almost in tears last night because I missed him so much. I asked Bonnie (the lady I gave him to) how Samson was doing and she said that he was doing great, his new owners were using him as a single carriage pull. Since hes shorter than the other drafts he would look odd doing double even though he wouldn't have a problem pulling double.
I met the lady once, very briefly and I called her once asking how Sam was doing and if she wouldn't mind if I stopped by some time to say hi to him. She was very short and wouldn't allow me out to see him. She said I could see him when he was out doing carriage rides but never told me when or where he would be. :cry:

I'm sure hes doing fine but I can't help but worry about him and miss him to death. Currently I'm not in a situation where I could purchase another horse and IMO leasing is a waste of money. The money I put into a monthly lease could be used to save up for a horse of my own.
I do take riding lessons weekly so I still get time around horses but its just not the same as having one of your own.

How did you all cope? (Those of you who had to sell your horse and weren't able to get one for a long period of time).

mls 05-20-2009 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucara (Post 310728)
Currently I'm not in a situation where I could purchase another horse and IMO leasing is a waste of money. The money I put into a monthly lease could be used to save up for a horse of my own.

Would you have to board your horse? If so, leasing would not be a water of money.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 05-20-2009 04:33 PM

I've got pretty much the same story. Iv'e just occupied myself with a million other hobbies and my family, of course. It's been hard, though. I ain't gonna lie. It's been in the back of my mind ever since. It's been four years now. About 2 years ago I started building up my horse supplies again. I've taken it all out of storage and I'm picking up my filly in 2 months. Sometimes It seems like it will never happen, but it will. It's a test of patience.

Lucara 05-21-2009 12:00 AM

Unfortunately the lady I gave Sam to said she would hold his saddle and bridle since i had no where to put it. She gave it all away with him. Nothing was expensive since it was his first set so its not much of a loss.

Yes I would have to board which is something that has turned me away from possibly purchasing another horse. I've just never been comfortable with someone else handling my horse but I know that the gas to drive anywhere morning and night would eventually catch up to me.

How much should I save up before I seriously start looking at new horses?

The horse would be 3k or under (Much under if possible). I'm thinking maybe 10k would be enough to purchase the horse, purchase all the supplies, and still support him for the first year and maybe have some back up money in case of an accident? What do you think? More or less?

I've already gotten permission from my riding instructor to board a horse on her or her neighbors property for little or nothing. I'm planning on moving to AL in about 6 months. I should be close to my goal of 10k if I save just about every penny so I'll hopefully be able to purchase a horse shortly after moving up?

Even if I purchase him earlier, my boyfriend knows a lady who might let us board. Meh I dunno. Hypothetical mumbo jumbo that keeps me semi happy.

If I am able to get another horse I'm hoping to track down a nice Brabant gelding.