The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Stallion fencing? Other stallion questions.. (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/stallion-fencing-other-stallion-questions-281274/)

ButtInTheDirt 09-22-2013 11:01 AM

Stallion fencing? Other stallion questions..

Next spring we are leasing, (the best word I can come up with for this situation,) a stallion to breed to two of our mares for two purebred foals who will be eligible for several registries. This year I had a foal out of this stud, and we also have two mares from the stud owner, and two dogs as well. So, suffice it to say, we have done business with these people a good bit. The nature of the 'lease' is a free lease, and we may buy the stallion as well. He is very well socialized and has always been in a herd. I see that as a plus, but also that he does not take well to being alone.

I have experience with quite a few studs, but I've never actually seen fences I'd want to keep a stud in. Plus I've seen studs pastured right next to particularly 'friendly' mares, who literally will pee on the fence, (ow!) when they're around. Now the same people have their studs pastured with geldings surrounding them, but mares not far away.

Now the fence I want to build I want something secure for two mares and a stud, and possibly the foals if we do intend on purchasing him by then. We have several hundred formerly telephone poles cut to size. So in that department we are pretty much set. I definitely want something solid, preferably a hot fence, too. My uncle has a saw mill and can get us a good amount of our lumber sawed. Plus we have 40 or so acres of woods that would supply us with as much as we can saw. I'm open to lots of fencing ideas, I'm thinking mostly in the realm of wire, multiple strands, but I do like the appeal of board fencing with wire on the inside.

Also any (constructive) advice about stallion ownership? Anything you wish you knew before hand? Experiences? I am an open book and willing to learn. This stud is a nice guy, but I'm not sure he is much past halter broke, then again, I've yet to inquire. But that isn't a big issue, I have experience breaking horses, young and old alike. The stud in question is 13 years old, so young enough to get stuff done and not to be entirely set in his ways. I don't want to live in a world of stud chains run through mouths and always walking with a club in my hand like some people do. I'm looking to have a gentleman, and am willing to put in work to keep him that way.

EDIT; I was also thinking that, should we buy him, perhaps opening up to outside mares? Any experiences with that with a small-scale operation? Not sure we'd do AI ever, so would it be a avenue even worth exploring? Not really looking to make big bucks off of this, just offer a good stallion to good mares.

smrobs 09-22-2013 11:42 AM

Now keep in mind that I don't own any studs and the closest I've ever come was John, who was gelded as a 4 year old LOL.

BUT, I've always liked the look of a pole corral like this
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.45990...43653&pid=15.1

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.48637...04253&pid=15.1

They look more rustic than metal fencing but the round poles don't break as easily as boards do. Something like this with a strand or two of electric on the inside should hold just about anything.

Again, since I don't have a stud and have never really handled one myself, the only other thing I can comment on is your idea of standing him. Personally, I would never stand a stud that wasn't very well broke under saddle and accomplished at some discipline. Just halter broke though? Not a chance, even if his bloodlines were superb.

The only exception I can possibly think of is if the horse was injured as a youngster and is unable to be ridden. Then I might consider it, but only if his sire and dam were both accomplished with the ability/temperament that fit my ideals.

ButtInTheDirt 09-22-2013 12:04 PM

Thanks for the response, smrobs!

I do have to say that fencing is very appealing, if I could get a hold of some long, skinny logs like that I'd say we're in business... Maybe cedar, but I'm not sure of the longevity of it...

As far as Mr. Stud goes, I just emailed the owner about him so I hopefully will get a response in a few weeks. I am not certain that he was ever broke, but I am also speaking about a breed that has only a few thousand animals. They are Curlies, so some of the 'rules' are a bit different, especially when it comes to getting a hold of a certain blood line. If I were to buy him, he would be broke if he isn't already, no bones about it.

I will have to look into some of his other progeny, as well, and see what they are doing. I thought it was neat when I looked at my mare and she has a granddaughter who is doing dressage, and her son, who is the filly's sire, is currently a gelding and used as a therapy horse. The stud's lines trace back to Appaloosas, and it shows a bit in his color, which is only a bonus on top of his conformation. With his breeding, which has less draft than my mares, I hope the App throws in some added stamina. My older mare has a good bit of draft breeding (which shows), and my younger one is more of the time when they bred QH in to get some great horses. Both mares are related, but they are crossed differently to become different horses.

PaintHorseMares 09-22-2013 12:18 PM

In addition to what smrobs wrote, consider 2 fences, separated by 4+ feet, between the mares and the stud. In my experience, the studs will run the fence carving a trough down to China, but some mares will do everything in their power to back into a fence a break it when in season.
Posted via Mobile Device

dbarabians 09-23-2013 07:09 AM

That fence my friend smrobs showed us does indeed look solid.
However there is too much room between the poles and a stallion could easily get his legs tangled in it.
You might want to get some hog wire to fill in the space.
Or if any other stallions or geldings approached the fence the stallion might attempt to fight .
I have seen stallions pastured with mares fenced in by barb wire. No other horses could be in an adjoining pasture.
Stars pen at the farm is 3 acres and made with pipe .
I bought some stallion panels and told the welder this is what I wanted The cost was outrageous but after he mounted a mare over a six foot round pen and was stuck there with his back legs dangling on one side I think it was worth it.
However I have very few problems with my stallions pushing against the fence. The mares in heat are a different matter.
If you keep them all together like it sounds you mean to then they should a ll do well.
Remember this when removing a mare from that pasture always tie that stallion up or remove him from the herd first.
He will not like having HIS mares taken away and may try and steal them back. That can get pretty dangerous. Shalom

jaydee 09-23-2013 09:49 AM

When you keep any horse you should always expect the unexpected and with a stallion you can X100 that!!!
The stout rails are really good but as db said there is a risk of them or a mare in an adjoining field getting its legs caught between the rails if they kick back or strike out - and that's always the biggest risk when you keep any horses in adjoining paddocks so you will need to reduce that gap
Don't forget that if a horse wants to jump out badly enough he will so a standard height fence could be nothing to him
I like to have 'hot wire' to create a stretch of 'no mans land' to actually prevent them from getting close to each other - it saves a lot of hassle
You might find that even a really quiet stallion will get stressed on its own when it can see mares around and spend all its outdoor time pacing the fence
Never assume that even a quiet well mannered stallion can be treated like a gelding - they can all forget themselves - my father was badly injured when he was in a rush one day and got sloppy with a stallion we had that was always really quiet to handle, was ridden and travelled with mares etc - you should never let your guard down around them

Saddlebag 09-23-2013 11:30 AM

When I lived in Calgary, stallion fencing had to be 6' high and very secure. I've known of a few people who were badly injured, one's in a wheelchair, because of a quiet, mannerly stallion. Those who carry a club are smart as they intend to come out the winner should the stallion suddenly turn on them.

CLaPorte432 09-23-2013 12:01 PM

Just for curiosity sakes...Is this Buddy You are taking about? :-)

If so, my previous step-aunt leased him. He's very well mannered. Quiet. (From what I remember...Although its been years) and she used to keep him in T-posts and basic electric fence. He was very respectful and acted like a gelding. Nice boy.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 09-23-2013 05:42 PM

What are the zoning laws in your area for keeping of a stallion ? and what does your homeowners insurance require ? Where i am located , it must be a pipe fence five bars in it, and at least 6 ft tall. ten feet away from a property line.

ButtInTheDirt 09-23-2013 09:50 PM

Thanks all for the responses, very helpful indeed! :)

I don't believe there are any stallion-specific laws here in regards to fencing. Actually, are horse laws, if any, aren't really reinforced here considering horses aren't a huge thing here in the dairy state. I've seen a lot of studs locally with sketchy fences that don't do much more than keep them in. Thankfully, the stallions within a few miles of me are kept a little more securely, but the buffer zone of woods and field and river are all added security between them and my own horses.

Yes, CLaPorte, Buddy is who I am talking about. :-) I didn't want to really say too much on the stud in particular as the deal isn't written in stone. When it is I'd like to do a thread on him and some training, (if we purchase him.) He's a good horse, and never was kept in anything but simple fencing. When I met him, I wouldn't have guessed he was a stud. (Aside from the fact he sired my foal... :lol:) He wasn't antisocial, just quiet and went back to food after he said hi. I'd say between my two mares and the two that were there, he was pretty whipped. :lol:

Actually, when we got our mares [at separate times], we lead them out before the stud. I had no idea, certainly a good thing to know now. The pen we will have them in I hope to keep some tie rings in, so I can tie him up, go fetch the mares, then leave him go. Certainly goes to show even the little things like this that a person doesn't know can make a big difference. :shock: These are the sort of things I would like to learn before hand.

I hope that with a bit of training he will get used to the fact that some times he will be alone. All of my other horses deal with that at some point or another, so just because he is a stud, won't make me not ride my mares. He's never going to be completely alone for days/weeks at a time, but if I want to take a mare out for a drive, or both out for a ride, it's going to happen.