The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   To shoe or not to shoe?? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/shoe-not-shoe-281482/)

HRS 09-22-2013 06:40 PM

To shoe or not to shoe??

My girl has an abscess in her front hoof that she's had for a little while. I've been soaking it in epsom salt and it was getting better now it's back again pretty bad. My farrier said we might need to shoe her front feet for a little while to get her feet up off of the ground but we could wait...so i did but now i'm thinking about getting them done..is it fine to have shoes on just for a little while then take her back to being barefoot?

Thanks for any help!

churumbeque 09-22-2013 06:42 PM

It wont hurt her and may help her. Short term wont matter either.

HRS 09-22-2013 06:45 PM

Ok. Thank you..I'm still learning everything and she's always been barefoot so I wasn't sure about it all.

loosie 09-23-2013 01:41 AM

Short term shoeing, done well, to a mature & reasonably healthy hoof, shouldn't have any long term repercussions. I'd be asking why is she abscessing repeatedly, where abouts - in the sole? - and what is being done to address the problem, aside from the palliative of temporarily raising the sole 'out of commission'... first though.

HRS 09-23-2013 09:51 AM

It's at the tip of the sole right along the wall. I don't know why she's abscessing this is her first time doing it for me but I've only had her since November. It was healing fine the first time so my farrier said it should be fine to not soak her foot anymore, but now it's worse. I am a new horse owner so I am still learning everything. That's why i asked if she'd be fine to shoe for a while to get that foot off the ground and all. She'll definitely have to go back to being barefoot afterwards tho because shoeing is wayyy expensive but if it will help my girl i'll have to do it.

spirit88 09-23-2013 11:37 AM

I had trouble with abcessing last summer had to have shoes pulled off. Shoes didnt really help my horse till after the abcess was blown out and he went sound. Then i had to have him shod with shoes and pads.

But hoof wear exceeds growth so thats why i shoe mine to begin with.But found having shoes on an abcessing horse only made him more lame, sore.

princessfluffybritches 09-23-2013 04:54 PM

Maybe you should try boots on your horse while healing and riding.