The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Is this safe? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/safe-281522/)

ponyluver420 09-22-2013 07:18 PM

Is this safe?

So I was wondering if it's safe to ride with earbuds in so you can listen to music? I've heard it can be useful to listen to music to help you develop rhythm, and I would only listen to music while riding alone, not loud or anything.. The reason I wouldn't want to listen out loud is because some rings are in close-ish proximity to each other, and I don't want to bother other riders. It's just an idea, since my runner and biker friends do listen to music, and I was curious if it'd be safe for while riding too.. (of course not for jumping or anything that could get the earbuds ripped out of your ears).
Thanks, I know t's not a great question so oh well.. :D

BornToRun 09-22-2013 07:45 PM

I'm sure it would be fine. I never liked it because I have weird ears and can never find a pair of ear buds that will stay in my ears when I'm moving around, and then once they fall out they dangle every where and such. Since I live and ride alone I just listen to mine out loud.

Samstead 09-22-2013 07:52 PM

I'd ride with just one in, there's a trainer at my barn who has this fancy device with an ear bud for her students and an microphone for her so she can talk to them directly and they hear her more clearly plus it eliminates the yelling across the ring. Anyway the ear bud is only in one ear so they can hear tings around them, even though you'd ride alone I'd still just use one so you can hear things like people trying to talk to you or something that might spook your horse.

gssw5 09-22-2013 07:54 PM

I don't like the ear buds personally they muffle to many sounds and I like to be able to hear what is going on around me, especially when I ride. I have a little speaker that I clip to my belt loop, and I keep my ipod in my pocket. I keep the volume low and nobody else hears it unless they are right next to me. I feel safer that way and there is no wire to get caught up on anything.

Samstead 09-22-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gssw5 (Post 3701210)
I don't like the ear buds personally they muffle to many sounds and I like to be able to hear what is going on around me, especially when I ride. I have a little speaker that I clip to my belt loop, and I keep my ipod in my pocket. I keep the volume low and nobody else hears it unless they are right next to me. I feel safer that way and there is no wire to get caught up on anything.

I never thought of that but come to think of it the ear bud/ microphone set the trainer at my barn has is wireless
though I guess it would have to be, you can't to dressage test or jump course with a wire attached to someone else...

cakemom 09-22-2013 10:53 PM

Sarah tucks her iPod in her upper boot (tall boots) Wires aren't safe to me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Samstead 09-22-2013 11:07 PM

I'd also put the wire under your clothes to avoid the possibility of getting tangled like ipod in your pocket and wire up your back

GamingGrrl 09-22-2013 11:45 PM

I ride with one earbud in sometimes, mainly during long trotting and other conditioning exercises. I run the wire up under my shirt or hoodie so it doesn't get tangled.
Posted via Mobile Device

loveduffy 09-22-2013 11:54 PM

I like to listen to the woods when I trail ride

verona1016 09-23-2013 12:02 AM

They make "personal speakers" that clip on to your clothing- they're designed for runners but I bet they'd be great for this purpose, too. Safe Sound Sports Personal Speakers review |