The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   What is it you love most about your horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/what-you-love-most-about-your-2816/)

Ellie 08-03-2007 08:45 AM

What is it you love most about your horse?

Hey guys, I was just thinking the other day about all the things that i love about my horse BJ. Even though he is arragant and he is an old sh** at times, there are so many other little things that make him so unquie and more like a human than i could have ever imagined.

like the saying goes "if only animals could talk", well my answer to that is, i don't need my horse to talk, because without words i can predict what he is thinking just by the way he looks at me and the way he acts around me. take my big tb for example, he is 22yo so he has been around a lot, yes?, well even though he is that old and you would presume he has everything about affection down to a fine art, well guess again, he actually reminds me of a teenage boy. this is no joke, none of my horse friends or even normal friends have even seen BJ show me any sort of love or kindness towards me. he pushes and shoves and the best he can do is just walk up to me and sniff me. but when no one is looking or can see us he is the biggest sook there is, he puts his head against my body and closes his eyes while i talk to him and tell him how my day went and you know all the deep stuff you aren't even game to tell your friends about well he knows all that stuff too.

A good story was when me and my friends were camping just down from the house in a tent over night, it was time for BJ's dinner so instead of feeding him up near the house and the shed like normal i brought the food down so it was just outside of the tent and no kidding he never went anymore than 20-30 meters away from the tent that night and i was the first up that morning so i went out to see him and he gave me a big cuddle and as soon as there was movement in the tent he backed away, and waited to see if anyone came out, if they didn't he came back and cuddled me some more but when one of my friends came out and said good morning he didn't come back to me coz someone could see.

i don't even have to put a halter on him or a rope around his neck or lead him using his rug when it is time to go back to the big paddock i just walk up to him and tell him it's time to go home and he follows me as i talk.

i said something a bit strange one day and i swear he understood every word of that convo, coz as soon as i said it he stopped and waited for me to turn around and look at him. so i asked well are you coming or not and he just snorted and kept walking and nudged me back when i walked too slow.

so that is why i don't think that i ever need words to communicate with BJ, we don't see each other as often as me and some of my friends do, but we sure have a better connection than i do with some of my friends.

taybug 08-03-2007 08:54 PM

I just love my horse's personality. He has so much of it.

desperate horsewife 08-03-2007 11:01 PM

The most? Hard to say. Love is, after all, a verb and not just an emotion. It takes action to love.

There are things I enjoy about each of my horse's personalities:

Quiet Storm enjoys going to demonstrations and having loads of people stopping to give her attention.

Jet is a naturally curious and very sweet girl.

But the horse I love most is the one I've poured so much effort into. Most people would have given up on her, to be sure, but the fact that I've spent time with her helping her overcome her fears has caused me to care and love her. You'd come and look and wonder, "What's to love?", as she's standoffish, doesn't want to have anyone touch her, turns her butt to you if she can, beats up the other horses, and there's no way on God's green earth that she's going to make an effort to be friends with you. But because I've spent the most time with her, she's the one I love the most.

KANSAS_TWISTER 08-03-2007 11:16 PM

abby is the only thing i have right now to keep me going every day through a really rough time with out my kids, she stand there and listen when i sit in her stall and cry.....she's my dr laura i guess

bee 08-04-2007 08:18 PM

the things i love the most about my horse, is that he is such a people friendly horse,and has a wonderful nature.. honnestly i love everything about him

Ellie 08-05-2007 03:49 AM

thanks guys, it's really interesting to see what people really appreciate most about their horses- well friends really i guess. :D

stefie 08-06-2007 06:03 AM

hmm the thing that i luv bout my horse.... well i would hav to say that its more the fact that i hav had her scince she was born and she trusts me to do anything with her.....thats what i would hav to say bout me horse the fact that she trusts me and i trust her thats what i luv bout her and how she always has her bubbly personality, her passion for humans, she gets along with anything and anyone personly i couldnt ask for a better horse for me i luv her in everyway i dunno where i would be without her.

joseylovesrain123 08-06-2007 02:35 PM

personality...he's so calm, and relaxed...well most of the time. he's just unlike any other horse that i have met.

AKPaintLover 08-06-2007 06:08 PM

Dez is so level headed and has so much common sense. I doesn't freak out in situations where most horses would. He calmly looks to me like "help me please". Yesterday, a huge horse freaked out and began pulling back on the halter and lead two feet away from him at the same hitching post. The horse was thrashing and almost rearing in an attempt to pull back, and Dez just stood calmly, not even flinching until it was all over.

He trusts me and I trust him - we go so many places together, and he never refuses my request, even if he seems nervous. He is super friendly and affectionate, and loves to just hang out together.

I can talk to him about anything - he's my good buddy. He is only five now; I can't wait to see what good friends we will be in 10 more years.

Sorry, there wasn't just 1 favorite thing.

SierrasMommy 08-08-2007 07:33 AM

I love Sierra's personality - she's almost bombproof. There's VERY LITTLE that scares her and when she spooks, it's more a spook-in-place. She can be stubborn at times, but she's very sweet and doesn't have a mean bone in her body. She's very level-headed and not firey, which can be a problem with speed horses. I do barrels, poles, and team penning with her and she gives me exactly what I ask for in the arena, but then becomes dead-quiet outside. I can put anyone on her back, including young children, and know she'll take good care of them. The best thing though is seeing where we are now and thinking back to how green she was when I 1st got her. She didn't know any rein signals, either neck or direct, she was slow and stubborn and got very bored/sour very easily. Since I moved her to the barn I'm at now, she has blossomed into a completely different horse - she doesn't get sour or bored, she listens well to direct reining (we're trying to work on neck reining) and she's not as lazy, although there are times she does need a bit of a reminder.