The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   Hit Air Advantage vests (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/hit-air-advantage-vests-281642/)

Golden Horse 09-22-2013 11:44 PM

Hit Air Advantage vests

Has anyone used a Hit Air Advantage vest?

Someone sent me this link today Hit Air Airbag Vests and Jackets: Hit Air Advantage™ Airbag Vest funnily enough it is the friend who watched me bite the dust off of Ben.

I like that it is reported to be light and open, and looks like it will fit a big girl, just wondering if anyone has actually used one?

albertaeventer 09-27-2013 04:41 PM

Are you wanting to use it for eventing or something else?

Several of my eventing friends own and use them and seem to like them just fine. For eventing you do have to wear a regular safety vest underneath it though. For regular riding you necessarily wouldn't, although if it malfunctioned or something happened like you and the horse both going down together, it wouldn't blow, so it wouldn't be very helpful at all in those types of situations. Or if it blows part way through a ride and you stop and take it off, then you are unprotected for the rest of the day/ride. Also I've seen them blow when a horse lets out a spook or buck and the rider gets unseated a bit or popped up out of the tack, and it actually *causes* a fall when the rider may have been able to ride out of the situation just fine without an air vest. The sound as it blows is a fairly substantial bang, and does spook or startle most horses.

Just my personal opinion, they are a neat idea and do provide a bit of extra protection for minor falls, but they don't really seem to me to be all that they're cracked up to be. I've been following them quite closely since they came on the eventing scene. The cartridges are a bit of a pain to change/refill, and can get pricey if you blow the vest a lot. If you are going to have a bad fall, or something happens and the horse lands on top of your, a little inflated vest isn't really going to help much at all. There isn't much concrete evidence or actual scientific studies done yet that convinces me they make enough of a difference to be worth the hefty price tag.

Golden Horse 09-27-2013 10:01 PM

:rofl::rofl: Certainly not eventing, this girl is far to http://www.smileystar.com/emoticons/...icken-crow.gif to be trying jumping these days. Nope I just want it for http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...m237cowboy.gif

Chevaux 09-27-2013 11:55 PM

I've got a bull riding vest (just like the rodeo guys use - and here I would like to add that I have no plans on being stomped on by a bull). If you were thinking of some extra protection for potentially tricky rides you might want to have a look at that. The price is reasonable, it's adjustable and surprisingly not that uncomfortable to wear.

Golden Horse 09-28-2013 03:43 PM

Lol I have a feeling that the knockersaplenty will not fit in a bull riders vest
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 09-28-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 3747441)
Lol I have a feeling that the knockersaplenty will not fit in a bull riders vest
Posted via Mobile Device

:?Oh dear - mine fits perfectly:oops:

Golden Horse 09-28-2013 09:52 PM

I was just guessing, I never even thought of a vest, will have to do some research.

albertaeventer 10-01-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Horse (Post 3747441)
Posted via Mobile Device

If you end up looking into getting an actual vest, I would recommend the Tipperary's with the laces up the sides. Very comfortable, great for all types of body shapes with lots of room for adjustment, and as another (unfortunately:shock:) very well endowed person, I can say that I have had no problem at all fitting the girls in there! Haha.

Just thought I'd throw that out there:-)

Golden Horse 10-02-2013 02:01 PM

Trouble is here the knockersaplenty are sat on top of a more than ample figure, so when I see XXL is bust size 42, then I have to laugh or cry, depending on thd day.

The good thing about a bull riders vest is that once in place it should stop the girls taking up their own rhythm, but maybe the whole vest would look alive then!
Posted via Mobile Device

Golden Horse 12-08-2013 05:06 PM

I eventually went with an Airowear Outlyne vest, size 7 regular length and it fits great. All I need to do is get it home with me from the UK, and try riding in it.