The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Unsafe horse practices :( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/unsafe-horse-practices-28166/)

twogeldings 05-21-2009 08:33 AM

Unsafe horse practices :(

Craigslist ad:
...10 month old colt.....I kept him for my eight year old who is now interested in running barrels.....

Eight years old and they keep a colt who isn't even a year old yet?!

My brothers are nine and ten. They have the attention span of an ant. The ONLY horse I allow them around is Sammy. He's about 16 and is half asleep most of the time. He spooks at nothing. Even so, I still won't allow them around him without adult supervision.

I can see getting your kid a horse. Go for it! I loved my first horse, I got him when I was 11. But he was OLD. He was at least 20 and dead broke, just like Sam. Plus, I had a year of riding stubborn Arabians under my belt.

I don't care how 'quiet' and 'gentle' that colt supposedly is. Unless you tranquilize him every time you bring him out, he's not quiet, he's not gentle. He is an unpredictable youngster that doesn't care if the person brushing him is 8 years old or 80. He will run them over in blind panic because that plastic bag will eat him.

My nine year old, broke to ride, has been on many trail rides near and far from home spooked at his own shadow yesterday. This horse has an excellent ground work foundation and was broke properly and completely. Yet, he spooks at a shadow. His own, shadow.

But of course, one could argue that every horse is different! But have you ever worked with a under-one-year-old youngster? I have the chance to work with two. About 7-8 months now. I don't think I even really want to out of fear by the time they are three years old, I will have no hair left, having torn it all out of my head in utter frustration.

Show me a been there, done that, 10 month old who's absolutely safe for a child (12 and under) to handle, and I will eat my socks.

county 05-21-2009 08:46 AM

I've never found age to have much to do with it seen some really unsafe 10 year old horses with adults. Seen some very calm yearlings with kids. Can't go with blanket statements when it comes to horses I gave both my daughters a 2 year iold filly for their 8th birthday then helped them train the horses. It all depends on the horse, kid, and whos working with them.

county 05-21-2009 08:47 AM

Oh and yes I've worked with horses under 1 year old. Literally 100's of them actually.

twogeldings 05-21-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by county (Post 311377)
I've never found age to have much to do with it seen some really unsafe 10 year old horses with adults. Seen some very calm yearlings with kids. Can't go with blanket statements when it comes to horses I gave both my daughters a 2 year iold filly for their 8th birthday then helped them train the horses. It all depends on the horse, kid, and whos working with them.

Two and up I can see, granted the horse has been worked with well since it was young and there is supervision at all times. At two years I expect a horse to be more mature and not be act like a 5 year old human child. Which, unfortunately is not the case with my three year old.

Ten months is just scary. Horses are unpredictable and dangerous no matter the age, size, or breed. I'm much more wairy of youngsters because of there random energy bouts. I knew a rejected filly once, they would let her out to play in the yard. She was a calm, quiet, little thing, would socialize with the people then all of a sudden explode and bolt off bucking and kicking. Not out of aggression, just out of sheer energy.

Then I picture that...a bit bigger...with my kid brother leading or standing next to it.

county 05-21-2009 09:20 AM

For sure if you don't trust a horse of any age and its training you shouldn't have them around inexperianced people.

Miss Katie 05-21-2009 10:04 AM

But did they say the kids was actually working with the horse, or that they were just keeping it for the kid to use when the horse got older?

mls 05-21-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogeldings (Post 311390)
She was a calm, quiet, little thing, would socialize with the people then all of a sudden explode and bolt off bucking and kicking. Not out of aggression, just out of sheer energy.

ALL horses do that. At least all of the ones we have here. Even the 20 somethings. Heck our cows do that. It's called feeling good and I very much enjoy seeing it.

Horses have eyes, ears and are independent in their thought process. I consider NO horse bomb proof and NO human an expert.

I did a lot of things growing up on a farm that I am sure would make some people cringe. My worst horse related injury did not happen until I was long past the age of knowing better.

Kentucky 05-21-2009 11:07 AM

I know I am guilty of that too mls and shoot I have done several after I grew up that would make other people cringe.

My2Geldings 05-22-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogeldings (Post 311371)
Craigslist ad:
...10 month old colt.....I kept him for my eight year old who is now interested in running barrels.....

My brothers are nine and ten. They have the attention span of an ant. The ONLY horse I allow them around is Sammy. He's about 16 and is half asleep most of the time. He spooks at nothing. Even so, I still won't allow them around him without adult supervision.

I can see getting your kid a horse. Go for it! I loved my first horse, I got him when I was 11. But he was OLD. He was at least 20 and dead broke, just like Sam. Plus, I had a year of riding stubborn Arabians under my belt.

I don't care how 'quiet' and 'gentle' that colt supposedly is. Unless you tranquilize him every time you bring him out, he's not quiet, he's not gentle. He is an unpredictable youngster that doesn't care if the person brushing him is 8 years old or 80. He will run them over in blind panic because that plastic bag will eat him.

My nine year old, broke to ride, has been on many trail rides near and far from home spooked at his own shadow yesterday. This horse has an excellent ground work foundation and was broke properly and completely. Yet, he spooks at a shadow. His own, shadow.

But of course, one could argue that every horse is different! But have you ever worked with a under-one-year-old youngster? I have the chance to work with two. About 7-8 months now. I don't think I even really want to out of fear by the time they are three years old, I will have no hair left, having torn it all out of my head in utter frustration.

Show me a been there, done that, 10 month old who's absolutely safe for a child (12 and under) to handle, and I will eat my socks.

Hahahahaha I think you're post just made my night :lol: I good sense your anger thru the words *hinds behind desk* :lol:

I would agree with you. I'm not sure how this guy "was going to keep him for his son" when he's had the horse for probably just 3 months(assuming he bought him as a wealing). Even if he bred that thing, it sounds ridiculous.

It's interesting how far people will go and what they will say in order to sell a horse.

NorthernMama 05-22-2009 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twogeldings (Post 311371)
Craigslist ad:

Hard to criticize when nothing is mentioned about whether or not the child spends any time at all with the colt, supervised or not; whether the colt was intended to be trained and then when the child is older he would have his own stallion or gelding that maybe was bred on the farm the child was raised on; whether the colt isn't suitable for barrels for some reason now; or any other million things that come into play.

Too easy to judge too quickly without having even 1/2 the facts.