The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   So... I need help from Rodeo people... I want to... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/so-i-need-help-rodeo-people-28174/)

Dartanion 05-21-2009 12:37 PM

So... I need help from Rodeo people... I want to...

Ok well I am THINKING at this point of 'trying out' for my countys Miss Rodeo to go around northern California and Promote the rodeo. So here are the personal Set backs:
1. I ride English and only rode Western a hand full of time.
2. I know next to nothing about Rodeo but I am willing to learn.

So for those of you who are familiar with the ways of Rodeo and miss rodeo programs I would GREATLY apprechiate some input as to if I would be wasting my time. Personally I don't care if I win or lose I just think this would be a fun experience for me and my horse:D. I would plan on competeing as an English rider so I am sure that would be my first set back but it would probably still be fun! I called and asked them a little about what goes on and I would have to know Rodeo inside and out so how cool (or wierd) would it be to have an English girl competeing and win?:lol:(not that this is likly). I just want to know what websites or places I can go to learn more about Rodeo so I can get a feel for if this is something I would like to try out? So like I said an info about Miss rodeo programs would be greatly apprechiated! oh and don't forget to vote! :D

reining girl 05-21-2009 01:07 PM

i dont know anythign about the miss rodeo thing, but i think it would be best to have a western saddle, and what i do know about them or at least the ones here you have to compete in some things, like one time they did a barrel race?? but i dont know that much about it. good luck!! but im also a western girl thew and threw, but you could always try english, i have never seen it but you never know.

GypsyTally921 05-21-2009 01:26 PM

I fully support your adventure, a very dear friend of mine and amazing rider down here just won Miss Rodeo a month ago, she's 16, and this was her second year of trying. She is a very decorated rider and consistent high pointer. She rides both English and Western and places very well in both.

However, having said I support you, I honestly don't think you'd win and I'm not sure you can even qualify as an English rider. What did the rodeo say about riding English when you asked them? EVERYTHING about rodeo is Western. They are looking for someone to represent the spirit of the rodeo, not just someone who can do the things required to win the competition.

To encourage you to "go Western" and help you prepare, here are some things they may ask you to do based on my experience with my friend:

-Do a flag run. You'll need a flag boot.
-Level 1 Reining pattern.
-Queen's run-- flat out gallop around the arena a couple times with a horse that's comfortable with applause; and carrying a flag.
-Mounting and dismounting your horse from the ground without assistance; no offense as I know diddly squat about actual English style, but I'm under the impression English riders typically need help up due to the design of the saddle?
-Quiz about rodeo history and facts
-Give a speech about rodeo
-Beauty pageant, during which certain attire is required, ALL of which is Western-- Western dresses, jackets, hats, pants, belts, etc.
-I think there was also a horsemanship section but I wasn't there for that so I'm not sure.
-Another point in fact: when you win you'll be required to wear big flashy Western chaps to every event you go to as the Queen, and that would look a little silly with the English getup.

My point is, while I totally support you going for it, I don't think it's a good idea to try to subvert a system that is wholly there for the very purpose you're trying to subvert. It's like me showing up at a hunter or dressage show in a western saddle and chaps. Something tells me I wouldn't win.

Go Western! It's not hard to learn; if you can do English, you can do Western.

Dartanion 05-21-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyTally921 (Post 311526)
I fully support your adventure, a very dear friend of mine and amazing rider down here just won Miss Rodeo a month ago, she's 16, and this was her second year of trying. She is a very decorated rider and consistent high pointer. She rides both English and Western and places very well in both.

However, having said I support you, I honestly don't think you'd win and I'm not sure you can even qualify as an English rider. What did the rodeo say about riding English when you asked them? EVERYTHING about rodeo is Western. They are looking for someone to represent the spirit of the rodeo, not just someone who can do the things required to win the competition.

To encourage you to "go Western" and help you prepare, here are some things they may ask you to do based on my experience with my friend:

-Do a flag run. You'll need a flag boot.
-Level 1 Reining pattern.
-Queen's run-- flat out gallop around the arena a couple times with a horse that's comfortable with applause; and carrying a flag.
-Mounting and dismounting your horse from the ground without assistance; no offense as I know diddly squat about actual English style, but I'm under the impression English riders typically need help up due to the design of the saddle?
-Quiz about rodeo history and facts
-Give a speech about rodeo
-Beauty pageant, during which certain attire is required, ALL of which is Western-- Western dresses, jackets, hats, pants, belts, etc.
-I think there was also a horsemanship section but I wasn't there for that so I'm not sure.
-Another point in fact: when you win you'll be required to wear big flashy Western chaps to every event you go to as the Queen, and that would look a little silly with the English getup.

My point is, while I totally support you going for it, I don't think it's a good idea to try to subvert a system that is wholly there for the very purpose you're trying to subvert. It's like me showing up at a hunter or dressage show in a western saddle and chaps. Something tells me I wouldn't win.

Go Western! It's not hard to learn; if you can do English, you can do Western.

Thank you a ton, When I called the pres of the program said he didn't mind me doing English BUT I shouldn't expect to win LOL. We can mount up without help, it's required in some of our CSHA state horsemanship patterns :P I spoke with a friend of mind and she said I could use her saddle (VERY PRETTY) It has the silver glitz and everything hehe. I am willing to 'convert' to western hehe I've ridden western pleasure a handful of times with D (mostly w/t because D doesn't have a wp lope) and we've gotten a madien high point lol. He said they have cut out the reining requirement and just have a horsemanship pattern. I am friends with the runner up (never knew she competed I only saw her at English shows lol) so I am going to try and get some more info from her. Thank you a ton again, can you tell me the difference between rodeo western wear and parade attire??
thanx

Dartanion 05-21-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reining girl (Post 311515)
i dont know anythign about the miss rodeo thing, but i think it would be best to have a western saddle, and what i do know about them or at least the ones here you have to compete in some things, like one time they did a barrel race?? but i dont know that much about it. good luck!! but im also a western girl thew and threw, but you could always try english, i have never seen it but you never know.

Thnx I am very interested and honsetly I do not expect to win or even 'place' so to speak but I think it will be fun.

GypsyTally921 05-21-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartanion (Post 311671)
Thank you a ton, When I called the pres of the program said he didn't mind me doing English BUT I shouldn't expect to win LOL. We can mount up without help, it's required in some of our CSHA state horsemanship patterns :P I spoke with a friend of mind and she said I could use her saddle (VERY PRETTY) It has the silver glitz and everything hehe. I am willing to 'convert' to western hehe I've ridden western pleasure a handful of times with D (mostly w/t because D doesn't have a wp lope) and we've gotten a madien high point lol. He said they have cut out the reining requirement and just have a horsemanship pattern. I am friends with the runner up (never knew she competed I only saw her at English shows lol) so I am going to try and get some more info from her. Thank you a ton again, can you tell me the difference between rodeo western wear and parade attire??
thanx

Ah; cool :) The handful of times I've ridden English in an English saddle I've just hauled myself up but I can't say the horse was happy about it; haha.

As for the difference in attire; I'm not sure I can explain specifically as I've only seen a few parades and the stuff there tended to be either really loud or plain depending on the riders; where for the rodeo stuff is more show-type clothes; lots of rhinestones and paisley or swirl patterns, bold colors with crisp pants and I know my friend had to buy 4 hats for her pageant, to go with all of her outfits. Seems like it's more sophisticated stuff like you find in western shows, whereas parade attire I've seen was either really out there or really cowboy (plain long sleeve shirt and jeans with worn boots, etc.) My friend's rodeo clothes were all very nicely done long sleeve fitted show shirts in all sorts of colors, fitted jeans in all sorts of colors, long duster jackets with rhinestone embellishments, show length jackets with embellishments, and button-up blouses. She also had to have a western dress, which basically was long sleeve, could be worn with a belt and had fringe along the bottom. Also, they require a belt and buckle and nice boots for every outfit too.

Dartanion 05-24-2009 04:05 PM

I am still trying to make up my mind. The only issue I am having is locate a place where I can buy some of the outfits I would need. I have a nice WP outfit mom got me when I showed western for three months and I have a nice black hat that is normally from my SMS outfit but where the heck do I find 'western wear' at? Another issue could be that our truck tire blew out and mom totalled the truck (this happened a few months ago and she was fine. Actually doesn't look as bad as it sounds) so My boyfriends Niece's grandma and grandpa have been halling me aroud for giving 'my' niece free lessons. I saw the scedual for Miss Redding Rodeo and I am sure I would have the time to attened the events it will just be getting there. I am not sure if they will want to haul me around that much. SO far it's just been 3 or 4 shows a month.

smrobs 05-24-2009 04:41 PM

You could go ahead and give it a shot, though I would really suggest using a western saddle. Many girls have so many of those outrageous outfits with the bling and 15 different hats but I don't believe that is necessary. I am sure that your western pleasure outfit would be just fine provided that it is jeans and a long sleeved button up shirt. As for getting a hat, I don't know what kind of stores you have in your area but anything like a Cavenders or Boots and Jeans (places that specialize in western wear). Some tack stores that carry western tack also carry western clothing. You wouldn't need to get some big expensive hat though I would suggest a felt in either a black or silverbelly(gray). Depending on what would go best with your outfit. I got my last hat for about $35 and it is really nice with a little silver on the band. If you are concerned about the schedule of the rodeos that you have to go to, you might call them and just ask if you can compete just for the experience. I don't know if they do that or not. I think it would be good for D though.

Dartanion 05-28-2009 03:37 PM

Thank you smrobs, I will do this western if I do deside to do this. I want to get an idea of how much that long sleeve dress will cost and my total expenses before I officially decide to enter. I am also doing three programs with my CSHA region so I have a lot going on already but I love to stay busy so I am still thinking about it because while I do not expect to win, if by some freak accident I do win I want to be able to keep my promises etc you know? just planning ahead :D Can anyone tell me where I will find a western wear dress? probably some expensive online side huh?

NewHeart 05-28-2009 04:34 PM

I am not fully familiar with the Miss Rodeo program, however I do agree with others that having a western saddle will really help you a lot. As far as gaining information on rodeo goes, try going to the PRCA or WPRA websites. They can give a you a lot of background information on rodeo, the history, current standings, NFR, etc. Another idea too may be to check out your states rodeo organization. Here in MN, we have what is called the MRA (Minnesota Rodeo Association) I am not sure if every state has their own, but it may be worth looking into.

As far as attire goes, I really cannot help you much. Like I said before, I don't know a whole lot about the Miss Rodeo pagenets, but I am sure you could look it up on google and find some websites. It seems as though a few people on here have already given you a pretty good start. Anyways, I hope this helped and good luck with whatever you end up doing!