The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Cars and Trucks (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/)
-   -   Can It Do It? F150 Short Bed and a Gooseneck (http://www.horseforum.com/cars-trucks/can-do-f150-short-bed-gooseneck-281785/)

armyrdr 09-23-2013 12:09 PM

Can It Do It? F150 Short Bed and a Gooseneck

I own a 2005 Ford F150 Super Crew Cab. I saw an F150 at a trail ride last weekend with an all steel gooseneck (I think it was a 2-3 horse slant with small weekender/ dressing room), owner said she didn't have rear axel air bags for many years and the truck hauled the trailer well.
I believe mine could do the same and really open my options for trailers, my concern is do I have the clearance for it? Having the Super Crew cab, my bed is only 6'. Anyone have experience with goosenecks and short beds? I was told there is an adapter I can add to the gooseneck hookup in the bed to shift the ball further back several inches??

Joe4d 09-23-2013 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
look at the trailers, many nowadays have a tapered nose. This allows you more turn radius. You sure yoour bed is 6 foot not 6.5 ?. My 2007 was 6.5 and I had a goose neck sundowner never had a problem. I didnt have the offset adapter.
Your limiting factor will be how sharp you turn.
On another note, F150 covers a broad range of capabilities. Engine size, rear end ratio and installed packages make a big difference. You need to know those as well as the weight of your intended trailer.
notice the tapered nose ? that truck is a 6.5 bed, 5.4L HO engine, max tow package and 4.10 gears.

armyrdr 09-23-2013 09:48 PM

Well turns out, I actually have a 5.5' bed. B&W makes a 10" off setter which I was thinking could work.
I wish I had foreseen my needs when I bought the truck lol.

Joe4d 09-23-2013 11:37 PM

that offset is gonna cut down on your weight, being farther from the axel

armyrdr 09-24-2013 01:03 PM

Good to know. It'd be a pretty big adjustment for me. I'm sticking to looking for slant bp for now. It may happen in the future though. I appreciate the input.

Darrin 09-24-2013 10:27 PM

Did you plan on towing when you bought your pickup? I ask because if you didn't get a tow package you can end up costing yourself a lot of money in repairs. Mainly over heating and cooking your transmission without a transmission cooler.

armyrdr 09-25-2013 12:08 PM

Yes I planned on towing. But really nothing bigger than a little two horse trailer.
Last summer the truck pulled a 22ft camper from CO to AZ and did just fine. Mountain passes and all.

jimmyp 09-26-2013 09:32 AM

I wouldnt be nearly as concerned about pulling and turning a gooseneck trailer as I would be about stopping it in an emergency. Between barrel shows with my wife and Field trials, I see alot of folks hauling trailers they have no business with behind half ton trucks. Personally I would be leary.

Jim

BanjoAndBullet 12-20-2013 11:35 AM

I just got done working for a trailer parts company and have sold many gooseneck hitches for the cab configuration and bed length you've specifed. I've never had anyone come back and tell me it didn't end well and I don't b&w would offer it if they knew it wouldn't work. Like other commenters have said it could all go out the window depending on how sharply you're making your turns but you shouldn't ever have an issue. One of my last custoemrs suggested this site to me because they were actually beating the place I worked at before for pricing on hitches. You could look into it. Gooseneck Hitches - Goose Neck Hitch For Your Truck

beau159 12-20-2013 01:12 PM

Right now I am using my husband's GMC 1500 to pull my Exiss gooseneck 3-horse slant trailer, until I can get a bigger engined pickup next year.

My husband's pickup literally has the SHORTEST box design of any pickup. We had the B&W flip over ball installed, but with a 6" extender.

My Exiss trailer has a square nose.

If we didn't have that 6" extender, it honestly probably would not work.

But I have had zero trouble manuevaring the trailer. When backing up at an angle, I just make sure to keep a close eye on that back window, but it's been just fine. No issues.

Thought I had a picture of my rig, but I guess I don't.