The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Any experts on stone bruises? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/any-experts-stone-bruises-28183/)

MoonlightEm 05-21-2009 05:09 PM

Any experts on stone bruises?

My horse has been off for 3 weeks. He's not too bad at the walk, but at the trot I definitely feel the limp in his right front. He didn't have back shoes so the farrier checked his hinds and found a bruise in each. Probably happened on the trail. But it's been about 3 weeks since this started and a week with the hind shoes on. He's still off. Seems a long time to me for a stone bruise. Anyone know if this is normal? I gave him 3 full days off last weekend but it seems no better. I don't know where to go from here. Em

GypsyTally921 05-21-2009 06:08 PM

I don't have too much experience with stone bruises but everything I've heard is that it can take a while to heal; sometimes until the hoof where the bruise was grows out. However, if he's still lame from it you shouldn't really be working him til he moves better, you'll probably just make it worse. I'd give him a vacation til he's definitely not in pain anymore.

Stone bruises can cause abcesses which can also be painful and cause lameness until they are either cut out or grow out.

CJ82Sky 05-21-2009 06:13 PM

Stone bruises can take days to months to heal, depending on the location and severity of the bruise, and how deep in the hoof the tissue is bruised. If he didn't have shoes on before, but has hinds on now as a result of this, he also could be walking somewhat awkwardly based on adjusting to being shod when he hasn't before (or hasn't in a while). Either way, bruises can take time to heal and the less you aggravate them (less you ride) the sooner they will heal.

It's just like a person - if you bruise your foot, put pads in your shoes, but keep jogging on it, it's going to take a lot longer to heal than if you rested. Just keep an eye on it and go from there - take it easy until it is healed. Also note that a bruise can damage the hoof and cause an abscess depending on how sensitive your horse is. I have a TB that will abscess if the wind blow the wrong way lol until I got him on a good hoof supp and good shoes on his feet.

Good luck!

MoonlightEm 05-21-2009 06:21 PM

Thanks, your info was reassuring. I haven't gotten any help/advice at the barn from the owner. In fact, she gave me a lesson on him last weekend and by the end I could tell he was in pain - limping badly. I board because I need assistance. I'll give him more rest and hope that works. Thanks again.

CJ82Sky 05-21-2009 07:09 PM

Glad to help! Bute can also help for a few days but I shy away from too much/too regularly because aside from stomach issues, it will also mask the pain causing the horse to act more sound than they actually are, which can again result in prolonging the bruising.

Good luck, give him some rest, and take it easy and he'll be better in no time! If he's slow to heal you can also try boa boots or easy boots over the shoes for now. There's also stuff like Keratex that works well in my opinion to help harden the hoof wall - all good options - though really the R&R and time off tends to get the job done best ;)

luvs2ride1979 05-22-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonlightEm (Post 311658)
Thanks, your info was reassuring. I haven't gotten any help/advice at the barn from the owner. In fact, she gave me a lesson on him last weekend and by the end I could tell he was in pain - limping badly. I board because I need assistance. I'll give him more rest and hope that works. Thanks again.

If your barn owner had you riding a lame/bruised horse, then that's probably not the kind of help you should be getting...

Give him a full week off, then check his soundness again. If he's not improved, then I'd have the vet out to check for a possible abscess.

FoxyRoxy1507 05-22-2009 09:34 AM

also what you can do to try and prevent an abcess and def helf with making him comfortable is if he'll let you soak his fee in epsom salt, i used to have to do that for my old mare a couple times a week it feels nice to them to put their feet in nice warm water

LDblackhorse 05-22-2009 04:26 PM

Hi there.
I have lots of experiance with stone bruises. the weirdest one I ever delt with came out thourh the coranet bad.

either way the best thing is to soak your horses foot in epsom salt. Just once a day for a week.

the next step would be to get some hoof packing some good brands for brusing include Rabbits magic cushion or finnish line medicated poultice.

to use just get a four peices of paper cut them to you horse hoof size and put a ice cream scoop size on the papaer and put in the feet. the rabbit formula is very sticky so you will need gloves and a good spoon just apply derectly to the hoof. this will help draw out the brusing. but make sure to take it out the next day or no longer then two days. Just remeber do not do for more then a week you do not want to make the feet to soft. just soft enough . this will help with the pain

.hope this helps I work with many thourghbreds at the track so i have to deal with this on a dalily basis.

Also as a helpful hint to all. if you do alot of riding on the road or hard surfaces. Maybe your horse did a long day of competion or your blacksmith just shod your horse. there is nothing wrong with packing your feet after. You can use just a regular hoof packing my favorite is Forshners. it will help allivate hoof pain. just make sure to take it out in the next day or two.
Your horse will be much apperciated for it.

Hope this helps:-)

MoonlightEm 05-22-2009 05:45 PM

Thanks all! Something isn't making sense to me. BO says he's perfectly sound chasing his turnout partner around during the day when I'm not there. The bruises are in the back feet but he limps on the right front! I rode him today and he was good at the walk and being fresh on the trail (we stuck to grassy, soft ones) trying to play with the horse in front of him. I had to get after him a few times to behave.
BO suggested that maybe it's still my western saddle pinching in. I've only had it for a month and bought it because my old one was too narrow for him. I thought this one fit him. She said to ride only in a wide saddle (I have an English one) for a week and eliminate the idea that the saddle may be pinching his back. Could this be making him limpy on the right front? She said to try it and if it doesn't help, then call the vet. He's certainly happy and spunky, not feeling poorly so I don't think it's anything too horrible. Also he has a huge appetite. Saddle? Maybe?

luvs2ride1979 05-22-2009 10:20 PM

Saddle could be it. Do you have access to an equine chiropractor, preferably one that is a licensed vet? A good chiro can check your saddles and his back/withers/shoulders for any soreness.