The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   What could I do with him competitive wise:/ (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/what-could-i-do-him-competitive-281929/)

barrelbeginner 09-23-2013 03:07 PM

What could I do with him competitive wise:/

I've gotten myself really down lately, thinking that there is nothing that I will be able to do with Sunny:/ other then a plod along horse:/ His conformation isn't really the best. But I have been training him for barrels. Recently decided to take him off of that unless my vet gives me the clear and says he will be fine( which I doubt).

Then I was thinking about Western Pleasure,like W/t? And then I was thinking about trail. But I don't think they do trails competitively except one place, which they closed down forever after this years..

Is there any.. umm not so hard on the joints western events that I can compete in?

anyone have any ideas.

Cynical25 09-23-2013 03:30 PM

If walk/trot classes are an option, go for it! Showmanship can be fun if you like the precision of pattern work. Show ring trail generally has cantering/loping (unless you find W/T classes,) and competitive trail is likely going to be very hard on joints with all the obstacles, hills, etc.

If you can be content learning new skills outside of the show arena, maybe work towards getting him so good at guiding with your legs & weight that you don't need hands and could essentially ride bridleless? Get him doing patterns without using your reins - cones, poles, barrels, figure eights, serpentines, perfectly round circles, straight lines. Work on perfecting walk-trot, trot-walk transitions. Be able to extend or to slow his trot. Get him to stop and back or do a 360 turn. A responsive, well-trained horse is a joy to work with, no matter the speed he's traveling :)

barrelbeginner 09-23-2013 11:00 PM

Thanks^^ I think that is a great idea:) Just spending some time.. working with him.. umm sooo I do NOT know the difference between an extended and normal trot.. but I don't want to teach him wrong. so I am having a friend help me out:)! Yay for friends:)