The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Can you critique this pic? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/can-you-critique-pic-282001/)

Mary Liz 09-23-2013 05:51 PM

Can you critique this pic?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, so this pic is from this past Saturday so can I have some feedback on what you don't like or like about it. It was rainy and cool so Laddy was a little up but still awesome and I'm really kind of loving the pic even if its not a really deep frame. Me and Lad have been doing Intro A, B, and C and we've done super in that so next show we go to we will do Intro B and C and then Training 1. So can I have some feedback about how he and I look for intro/training level or any helpful remarks.

beau159 09-23-2013 06:04 PM

I know just about nothing about dressage, but you guys look great!!!

Mary Liz 09-23-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beau159 (Post 3708313)
I know just about nothing about dressage, but you guys look great!!!

Thank you! :-)

frlsgirl 09-24-2013 02:19 PM

You guys look awesome! Your head is slightly forward and you seem to be looking down at your horse, which I do all the time and my instructor always reminds me to keep my head up and look straight ahead.

tinyliny 09-24-2013 02:45 PM

the horse looks happy and forward and relaxed. He is on his forehand, but not in a forced way, and you both have the look of a great intro/training level pair.
Looking at his front feet, his front hooves look really long with what appears to be underrun heels. can slow down his breakover and make it harder for him to reach underhimself.

you do need to look up and open your chest a bit. it's kind of like you are generally rolled forward, inward, in chest, neck and even your knees are up and forward, like a "C". you can start by putting your thumbs on top. that's very helpful for reversing the inward "curl" of body and mind. Look up. roll your shoulders back a little. .

To get more of your weight down into your leg and ankel, take you legs out of the stirrup, let them hang down. lift the thigh out and off the saddle, then let your leg go back onto the saddle. without moving your upper leg, reach up with your toes and find the stirrup. let your leg hang down into the weight going down through your ankel. no pushing, just hanging.

Mary Liz 09-24-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 3715249)
the horse looks happy and forward and relaxed. He is on his forehand, but not in a forced way, and you both have the look of a great intro/training level pair.
Looking at his front feet, his front hooves look really long with what appears to be underrun heels. can slow down his breakover and make it harder for him to reach underhimself.

you do need to look up and open your chest a bit. it's kind of like you are generally rolled forward, inward, in chest, neck and even your knees are up and forward, like a "C". you can start by putting your thumbs on top. that's very helpful for reversing the inward "curl" of body and mind. Look up. roll your shoulders back a little. .

To get more of your weight down into your leg and ankel, take you legs out of the stirrup, let them hang down. lift the thigh out and off the saddle, then let your leg go back onto the saddle. without moving your upper leg, reach up with your toes and find the stirrup. let your leg hang down into the weight going down through your ankel. no pushing, just hanging.

Thank you for taking the time to critique my picture and for the nice comments! His feet, due to all the continuous rain, have "collapsed" on the heel and the what I would call the 'toe' has grown....not ideal under any means but hopefully this winter will be drier so his feet wont look so bad.

I will definitely try doing my legs like that...that makes perfect sense.. I do have one question about that though..I have been doing some small cross rails in my dressage saddle...[my AP hasn't been fitted to his back since he's gotten a lot of new muscle]....and I decided it was much easier to get into position with shorter stirrups(which is the length I have them at in the picture) would you recommend going back to the slightly longer stirrup length when I'm doing ground work and doing the activity you described or does it matter? Thank you!:-)

Corporal 09-24-2013 05:18 PM

You two look great! I agree with the "on the forehand, eyes should be up and a trim on the front feet."
I really love to see people riding Dressage on Arabians.
I think he could be in a little bit better physical shape. Consider x-training by trail riding in hilly country, maybe a little bit of low jumps, just for fun, and certainly cavaletti. If you get RFD.tv look for the Dressage Symposiums. Several of their programs demonstrate clearly about dropping stirrups and readjusting your leg to deepen your heel.
Keep up the good work.

Mary Liz 09-24-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 3716593)
You two look great! I agree with the "on the forehand, eyes should be up and a trim on the front feet."
I really love to see people riding Dressage on Arabians.
I think he could be in a little bit better physical shape. Consider x-training by trail riding in hilly country, maybe a little bit of low jumps, just for fun, and certainly cavaletti. If you get RFD.tv look for the Dressage Symposiums. Several of their programs demonstrate clearly about dropping stirrups and readjusting your leg to deepen your heel.
Keep up the good work.

Thanks for your advice and comments! And I completely agree with you that I love people who do dressage on Arabians too! Arabs are such worker bees which is great for dressage! And yes I agree with you on the jumps, hills and cavaletti! Laddy is probably has the most topline muscle he's ever had and we just got him back doing small cross rails and he absolutely loves doing the hilly trails around the stable! I really want to do some 20m circles on a small hill outside the ring doing which will require lots of engagement in his back too! With Laddy he can always use strengthening through his topline! Thanks for the comment!

olympustraining 09-25-2013 09:53 PM

Elevate your hands, roll your shoulders down and back (without pinching), bring your chin back. You are a bit rounded throughout your upper back, which will result in your horse being a bit heavy on the forehand. Your horse seems very willing and rounding nicely through his back! :)

existentialpony 09-26-2013 01:46 AM

My instructor is constantly bugging me *to* look at my horse's neck! (I used to ride h/j back in the day)--to maintain his softness and bend.

I agree with the other critiques for the most part, especially in your upper body. Good for you for riding dressage on an arabian! ;) I am schooling 1st level with my arab and he really seems to love it!

ETA... When you elevate your hands, keep your elbows soft and bent at your sides. Maintain that lovely hand-to-bit line!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0