|Brighteyes ||05-22-2009 10:41 AM |
Brighteye's Guide to Taming Horses
From working with rescues, I have found a techique of taming scared horse-critters. It's mostly comman sense really. *Warning: Results may vary.:D
- Step into pasture. Never look at the horse you are trying to catch. Talk softly to youself.
- Zig-zag around a little. Go and pet other horses, look at trees, stare at butterflies, etc. all the time never looking at the horse.
- Pass by the horse at an angle. Never go straight for it.
- Finally, turn away and pass very close to the horse at an angle. Look at its feet only.
- Reach out your hand and let it sniff it. This is the way equines greet each other.
- Once the horse sniffs your hand, back away
- Repeat one through four.
- Now, instead of just offering the horse your hand, give it a tasty treat.
- Do this for a while, and maybe, sooner or later, it will let you catch it.
|Sixxofdiamonds ||05-23-2009 11:07 AM |
I LOLed at "and maybe, sooner or later, it will let you catch it." Hopefully sooner, rather than later! :D
It's all too true - it works for horses who ARE tame and are being a pain-in-the-butt when you're trying to halter them in a pasture.
Haha lol, I will defiently remember this :D
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM. || |
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0