The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Goldfish in water trough.... (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/goldfish-water-trough-28225/)

farmpony84 05-22-2009 01:46 PM

Goldfish in water trough....

I have 3 - 100 gallon water troughs. They get mosquito's in them and some algae... I was thinking maybe I would drop 2 or 3 goldfish in each one to keep them fresh and clean. Has anyone ever done that? Does it work? Can I just go by walmart and buy any goldfish???

Jessabel 05-22-2009 02:10 PM

I don't think the fish would live because horses tend to drop food and whatnot into their water and it ferments. Also, in the summer, the water would probably get too warm for the fish, since goldfish like colder water. There also wouldn't be any filtration system and the water could become stagnant.

I can't imagine that it would be good for the horses, either, because the goldfish would pee and poop in the water. I definitely wouldn't want my horses drinking out of it. I know horses drink out of ponds and creeks, but that water flows and is naturally filtered. Trough water just sits there. So I don't think it would be a good idea.

TipTop 05-22-2009 03:13 PM

I have heard of people having goldfish in their tanks. They say it works. I have never tried it though.

Brighteyes 05-22-2009 03:37 PM

I think that fish would be ok and would help with stiring the water some, but they can be a problem when you are cleaning out the tub; careful not to pour them out for anything.

Another think you have to worry about is ammonia from fish waste and fish food. It will be fine though as long as you don't put in more than a few fish.

One more thing; make sure that they are really goldfish. I know this sounds stupid, but I have been sold "goldfish" that are really koi and grow to massitive size. (Plus three feet long and 20 or more pounds.)

ItalianCutie9407 05-22-2009 03:51 PM

The horses may dirty it too mcuh and the fish can get sick and die, and also, in the summer, it may get too hot.

ItalianCutie9407 05-22-2009 03:51 PM

Just be sure to change your water often

mls 05-22-2009 04:08 PM

Actually they work quite well.

The issue is to keep the water level up so they have a safe level to breath.

I have friends that have done this for years. In the winter she brings them into her basement in a laundry tub.

BackInTheSaddleAgain 05-22-2009 04:16 PM

My best friend has done this for years... no problems =) I plan to do it myself.

Shawneen 05-22-2009 04:44 PM

I've always done it. I have water troughs like this:
http://www.horsesense-nc.com/Images/raintrough.jpg

but mine are blue.

The fish do well even in the summer (Cali - 115 degrees), they just hang out at the bottom. Just make sure you keep the water level filled up. In the winter, we brought them in cause the troughs were starting to freeze over and I kid you not the fishies were about frozen solid. They didn't move and when you tried to bend them they were pretty tough. Put them in some cold water and they popped back to life LOL

They do get VERY big, and it seems they grow really fast, being in the troughs.

farmpony84 05-22-2009 04:52 PM

awesome! Those are the troughs I have. How many should I put in each trough???