The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Upcoming Kidney Biopsy-Terrified! (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/upcoming-kidney-biopsy-terrified-282290/)

2BigReds 09-24-2013 01:41 AM

Upcoming Kidney Biopsy-Terrified!

I've mentioned on here before that I have an autoimmune disorder that gives me arthritis, but doesn't affect my internal organs.

Well, that turned out not to be the case. I have inflammation in my kidneys (caused by lupus nephritis) and they want to do a biopsy to see how bad it is and how to treat it. Great, because I really do want to keep my kidneys! Obviously I was nervous about going under, but then she told me the really horrifying part-I HAVE TO BE CONSCIOUS FOR IT. I almost burst into tears at the doctor's office when she told me that. She could tell that I was obviously shaken at the news, and briefly went over the procedure with me which, quite frankly, didn't help. I know it was necessary, but I'm beside myself. Apparently I have to hold my breath for about 30 seconds while they stick a needle in me, and if I move I could end up with severe bleeding. Not good in particular for someone with clotting issues.

On top of that, my arthritis is acting up terribly, I have zero energy, can't concentrate at work (which may eventually cost me my job), am getting over a UTI, my potassium levels are high, and as of yesterday I've started getting the butterfly rash that's so common in lupus patients.

Oh, and I have car trouble and can't work my second job (waiting tables) right now due to the arthritis becoming quite severe. I was dealing with having APS quite well but now that my vital organs are under fire I'm kinda losing it. I'm 21 freaking years old, I shouldn't be having kidney problems!!!

Please if someone else here has gone through any of this, a little advice? Experiences? I'm scared beyond words over all of this. :cry:

deserthorsewoman 09-24-2013 02:09 AM

I can't help you with the biopsy, but I lived with a catheter in my kidney, coming out on my back, for almost two years, because I was too chicken to have surgery. I had to have it changed every 3 months. Awake. They make you inhale and hold your breath. It's bearable. I was super scared, but afterwards I was like" that was it?". I did have surgery, eventually, they wanted me to keep my kidney. I envied everybody who had theirs removed, they went home after 8 days. I had to stay 6 weeks and got out early only because my friend was a nurse at the hospital and did bandage changes and other necessities in my house.
I sure hope the biopsy will be all you'll need done.

tinyliny 09-24-2013 02:18 AM

I hope it is not so bad. Just keep up front in your mind this:
Almost always the anticipation and fear of something is much WORSE than the reality. Hang in there, horse girl!

Saddlebag 09-24-2013 09:04 AM

By being conscious means they can still put you in the twilight zone where you can hear but takes some effort to talk. Have you asked about a spinal or are the kidneys too high.

totalfreedom 09-24-2013 09:22 AM

You don't need to go through all that trauma if you make the choice not to. It will require you to make some lifestyle changes....in particular, it will require you to change what you are eating. It really is that simple, so the biggest question you need to ask yourself.....is it worth the dedication to make the changes necessary, or would you prefer to continue down the path you're on?

Study;
Arnold Ehret
Dr. Robert Morse
Loren Lockman
just to name a few. There are many others out there but these three will give you a very good understanding of what will be required of you to make the necessary changes in your life that will bring you back into health.

If I were to give you a sample of my honest opinion I would say....run from those doctors. Dump em and move on, they need you....not the other way around. If you want true health and not just surgeries and medications for the rest of your life, then take your health into your own hands. You body has amazing potential to heal itself if you simply get out of it's way and let it do what it's designed to do.

bitinsane 09-24-2013 10:20 AM

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you at such a young age. My mother in law had a kidney biopsy and it didn't seem to phase her much. She said she felt a pinch and her back area was a little sore afterwards for a few days, but that's all. I understand your fear, but it's always worse then what we make it out to be. Keep us updated and my best wishes to you.

2BigReds 09-24-2013 10:31 AM

Deserthorsewoman, that helps a bit... I've kind of resigned myself to the fact that it has to happen and hopefully it won't be terrible and they can just get a baseline. :/

Thanks, Tiny. I know that's probably the case, I just need some reassurance from someone who might've gone through similar, ya know? At only 21 none of my friends have ever been through anything like this so they can't really relate.

Saddlebag, spinal? Not sure what you're referring to, some sort of numbing or something?

Totalfreedom, if I was taking care of my own medical situation, I'd be very tempted to bypass all of the tests and procedures. My parents are nazis about my medical care and considering they're paying for all of it, I only have so much of a say unless I want to lose that. I HAVE been wanting to try an elimination diet, though it's tough to eat even decently with money as tight as it is without the second job. I may talk to my parents about helping financing that, but I hate even asking. Living is darn expensive!!! >_<

Also it may be worth it to note that a good number of the medications that I'm on are temporary, so this won't last forever. Unfortunately aside from the antibiotics, I'm not sure exactly how long some of these will run, though I'll probably not take the tramadine ever. Doesn't even work and it makes me feel crappy. >:(

Zexious 09-24-2013 06:32 PM

Wow... how scary ;-; I don't know anything about these procedures, but wanted to say you're in our thoughts )8 Keep your chin up!

franknbeans 09-24-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by totalfreedom (Post 3713353)
You don't need to go through all that trauma if you make the choice not to. It will require you to make some lifestyle changes....in particular, it will require you to change what you are eating. It really is that simple, so the biggest question you need to ask yourself.....is it worth the dedication to make the changes necessary, or would you prefer to continue down the path you're on?

Study;
Arnold Ehret
Dr. Robert Morse
Loren Lockman
just to name a few. There are many others out there but these three will give you a very good understanding of what will be required of you to make the necessary changes in your life that will bring you back into health.

If I were to give you a sample of my honest opinion I would say....run from those doctors. Dump em and move on, they need you....not the other way around. If you want true health and not just surgeries and medications for the rest of your life, then take your health into your own hands. You body has amazing potential to heal itself if you simply get out of it's way and let it do what it's designed to do.

To give such advice without knowing the OP's specific case is dangerous, and that is, honestly, the nicest word I can use. Op certainly can do her own research online and learn more about what, if any, other options she has. But frankly-some folks would take your advice and it would be a death sentence and extremely ill advised. As a nurse-who looks at ALL the options and makes educated decisions I know enough to know that there is no black and white. Each person is different and the ONLY way to care for them is as individuals. I sure hope you have good insurance if you go around giving out advice like this!:twisted:

SlideStop 09-24-2013 07:55 PM

I am a total whimp and nervous Nelly. I go into fight or flight mode pretty bad, like I almost bit a co worker when they were practicing laser hair removal on me! Not cool! Your doctor might be able to pre medicate you with a valium or something. You can also ask about twilight Anastasia, like they give for cardiac catheterization.
Posted via Mobile Device