The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Good age to start riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/good-age-start-riding-28230/)

ItalianCutie9407 05-22-2009 03:21 PM

Good age to start riding?

Just wondering, what is a good age to start riding?

JumpingJellyBean 05-22-2009 03:25 PM

I'd say 6-7 is a good age to start.

Vidaloco 05-22-2009 04:10 PM

Depends on if you mean the horse or the human. For the kids I think any age past potty training is a good age to start lessons. I don't think its good for a young child to just be tossed on a horse just let er rip.
For the horse we have started riding ours for short amounts of time and they are 3

CrazyLady 05-22-2009 04:20 PM

When you / the person riding feels ready. Don't rush into these things. It will only cause complications in the future if you do.

saint3meg3rlfc 05-22-2009 05:22 PM

I think it's up to the child to a point but it's also that parents responsibility to assess if the child is ready.

We have a girl who my coach used to teach. She can't have been any older than six. She wanted to ride but the mum didn't acknowledge that she wasn't emotionally ready. It took us ages to get this kid even on the horse. Most kids go through a "pony" phase but it's up to the parents to decipher if their child is ready.

Vidaloco 05-22-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint3meg3rlfc (Post 312324)
I think it's up to the child to a point but it's also that parents responsibility to assess if the child is ready.

We have a girl who my coach used to teach. She can't have been any older than six. She wanted to ride but the mum didn't acknowledge that she wasn't emotionally ready. It took us ages to get this kid even on the horse. Most kids go through a "pony" phase but it's up to the parents to decipher if their child is ready.

Well said, to many parents cave to the cries of "I want a pony" :lol:

1dog3cats17rodents 05-22-2009 06:31 PM

With a knowledgeable adult prsent (AKA lessons) I think the kid can get start riding/walking anytime after three if they feel ready, and at four start trotting.

It's never to young to sit on a horse with a sidewalker though, I "rode" my first time at 5 months, lol

ItalianCutie9407 05-22-2009 07:39 PM

Thanks!