The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Indoor Arena size (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/indoor-arena-size-282377/)

Winterose 09-24-2013 09:47 AM

Indoor Arena size

Hi guys,

In preplanning for my future barn set ups (Albet prematurely i still have a few years to go) i want to build a small indoor so that when winter hits i can still ride :D I was wondering for small at home use where there would be 1 to 2 riders maybe 3 on rare occasion maybe, for walk, trot, canter what would you guys recommend for an indoor size? i don't forsee jumping but that ay be good to include room for anyways... ideas?

PDGx 09-26-2013 03:05 PM

Don't know what a proper size is, but I'm currently working on the floor of a friends new arena that is approximately 60' x 160'. The width looks good for a reasonable turn radius. The length could be shorter, but it is similar to the arena at our trainers, which gives a decent straight run and adequate distance for figure 8's, etc.
Allthough I think it's just dawning on them the size of the building due to the amount of material going into the floor.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 09-26-2013 03:34 PM

When push comes to shove, I'd go long rather than wide. 60' is a bit tight but doable and I know that 120' is a bit short as the horse just gets it body straight and the next corner is there. My outdoor is 80'x 120' and it's ok for one horse or two if doing circles at each end. I believe it is cheaper to go longer than wider as the roof trusses may require more material.

verona1016 09-27-2013 05:44 PM

Forgive me for thinking of this from a dressage perspective, but those are the arena sizes I can most easily visualize :-) For 1 to 2 riders I'd think a short dressage arena would work fine- 20mx40m (~66'x132'). For any more than 2 riders I'd want a standard dressage area- 20mx60m (~66'x197').

Winterose 10-08-2013 10:37 AM

Thanks guys
Posted via Mobile Device