The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Ankle exercises? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/ankle-exercises-282401/)

Ninamebo 09-24-2013 11:30 AM

Ankle exercises?

Hey there. A few weeks ago I did something to my right ankle, came down on it wrong or something, but anyway now when I ride I can't turn my foot inward without the lateral hurting, so I end up having my heel on my horse and it's throwing him off. It's not a pain like I need to see a doc or anything, and I've been wearing an ace brace on it, but I have been unconsciously turning my toe out while riding now.

My trainer is really getting on me about it, the pain is still there but not as bad but my foot is still pretty turned out until I think about it. Any exercises to help strengthen ankles or keep them forward while riding (besides the obvious answer of just ride that way and practice)?

Thanks!

OutOfTheLoop 09-24-2013 11:40 AM

Go to the doc. I twisted my ankle, it healed. I twisted it again, and again. About ten times over the course of three years. I ended up having to go to physical thereapy for six months just to be able to run with my dog without rolling it over. That was 2011 I believe and it hasn't bothered me since. I just completed a 5k obstacle course Saturday, which was a huge deal to me coming from not even being able to run. If your not going to go to the doc, google pt exercises for the ankle, and do those everyday. Tjeres too many for me to list here.
Posted via Mobile Device

olympustraining 09-26-2013 08:40 PM

Try riding with no stirrups for awhile. You need to learn how to balance and stay on the horse without pushing down into your stirrups. It will make the world of a difference for your ankle!

Also stretching your hips and low back should make a huge difference. A lot of times we are holding our whole leg wrong from the hip, not just at the knee or ankle.

autumnheart 09-26-2013 10:36 PM

I would also see a doctor, you don't want it to get worse!

Skyseternalangel 09-26-2013 11:09 PM

Visit with a Doctor, make sure to ice and support your ankle, check to see if you need a longer stirrup (sometimes that helps)

Ninamebo 09-28-2013 11:29 AM

Olympus- hips are a huge part of it, you are so right, I definitely do hold my right leg incorrectly and with one shift of my hip all is well- so that's another thing I must constantly remind myself! I like the idea of non stirrup riding- I used to do that so often but it's definitely been a little while, thanks!

And to all, thank you for looking out for me when I deem all is well. I've been taking better care of it and called my PT from my knee injury for some ankle exercises. She thinks the only thing to really do now is support it and strengthen it. I have no idea how I do these things to myself.. Thanks guys :)

olympustraining 09-30-2013 02:48 PM

You will get there!!! Just make sure you pay attention to your body and try to find out WHY you are doing things wrong? Your body wants to hold you in balance, just as your horse does. When either of you is off balanced, it will affect the other. Sometimes the horse may not be giving well through their back or side. Working together to find the root will almost always fix the problem. :)

And I TRULY believe from experience which proves itself right over and over... that 99% of the problems for the horse and rider end up coming from the hips. The motion and balance of the rider and also how the horse is stepping from the hind.

Ninamebo 10-02-2013 08:16 PM

It completely is all about the hips. My spine is a tad crooked and the whole right side of my body is slightly dropped ( or maybe the left slightly elevated, hmm)

I learned quickly to compensate- riding naughty horses from a young age taught me how to stick like glue. And I have somehow subconsciously always compensated for it and balanced just fine- but now that I have been asking much more from my horse when we ride I can totally feel the difference when I lift my right hip. It's like night and day.