The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   laptop help! :) (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/laptop-help-28260/)

ridingismylife2 05-23-2009 06:15 AM

laptop help! :)

ok..so my laptop is getting fixed and we noticed that it would be easier getting a new laptop because it's gonna cost a lot.
So my old laptop was likeeeee:

acer aspire 5520
Nvidia geforce 8600M GS with 512MB
3gt
Vista home premium

One new one i've been looking at is likeeee:

ACER ASPIRE 7730G-644G100MN
Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 -prosessor (2 Ghz/800 MHz)
4 Gt -RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT -1024 Mt
Windows Vista Home Premium

Here's link to it (It's in Finnish though):
http://www.hobbyhall.fi/product_view...id=&orderst=&#

Would it be good for Sims3/2 and Oblivion?

Joshie 05-24-2009 12:59 AM

Get a mac.

ridingismylife2 05-24-2009 05:25 AM

I REALLY don't want a mac :P + sims3 mac version will come out later than for windows. And macs are crazy expensive here.

Jehanzeb 05-24-2009 08:43 AM

Morning :D.

I doubt if Mac will do any good to anyone who hasn't used it before.Mac is pretty different to Windows and if you are not familiar with its "lifestyle" it'll be pretty daunting task to do anything on it.

It's nice to see a newer upgrade version of the laptop however you have to bear one thing in mind, nVidia chips specially in some laptops are faulty and they cause pretty much hassle to customers then doing any good. I have seen problems in DELL, HP and Toshiba laptops so far.

All of them had problems with their nVidia chips and had to be replaced by manufacturers.
Here is the link which supports my comment above: All NVIDIA 8400M / 8600M chips faulty?

I'd say just as a cautionary means ask the the shop/retail store when was the laptop manufactured, it usually says on the box hidden in codes where it shows the manufacturer date. If it is fairly recently manufacturered, the chances are it will have less faults. Other then that, this laptop looks pretty good, infact it has quite high review rating as well.

See here: Notebookcheck: Acer Aspire 7730G (price: 88%, performance: 76%, features: 65%, display: 73% mobility: 57%, workmanship: 60%, ergonomy: 75%, emissions: 76% Given by 4 reviewers) Just bear in mind the model specs might be different to what you are looking for. If the model specs are the same and it comes well within your budget I'd say you can go ahead with the buy :D.

Hope this helps

Regards

ridingismylife2 05-24-2009 10:32 AM

I've actually used a mac lots of times (my best friend has one and my old school used them) but i prefer windows :)
My old Acer laptop had a nVidia chip and it was really good. :)
haha...

Joshie 05-24-2009 04:03 PM

My mac has both operating systems. Macs are much easier to use, last longer, and just generally have fewer problems. They are more expensive.

Dressage10135 05-24-2009 06:31 PM

I agree with Joshie. I just got a MacBook last year and I absolutly love it. And I have Sims for mine as well.

Jehanzeb 05-26-2009 08:47 AM

Well surely Mac is by far greater then Microsoft buggy virus filled OS however without knowing the background of the user one would suggest what he/she sees or asked for :D.

Regards