The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   Rescue Betta! (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/rescue-betta-282649/)

rexing93 09-24-2013 07:16 PM

Rescue Betta!

5 Attachment(s)
Today I ended up "rescuing" another Betta while going to my LPS to grab a couple odds and ends and to browse. In all honesty, I was on the phone with one of my close friends and I told her, "Do NOT let me walk out of the store with another fish. When I start talking about fish I want...tell me, 'NO!'." to which she agreed. Her being the wonderful friend she is ended up helping me decide which one was the 'prettiest' and the one that I "needed" the most. XD

Anywhoo, this boy wasn't swimming around correctly (he was up at the surface and on his side) and was just acting off so I figured why not take a chance on him? I ended up spending $20 on another fish that I didn't quite need. Oh well. I figured he'd be my present to myself for getting a pay raise at work and was "offered" a management position (first job ever ^-^).

Okay, okay. I'm boring everyone with details. Picture time.

Pictures One and Two:
When we first got home. Before cleaning/prepping his temporary 1g Critter Keeper.
Attachment 288425

Attachment 288433

Picture Three:
Just a picture of his coloration. I LOVE it. :3
Attachment 288441

Picture Four and Five:
After getting him settled and moved into his temporary tank.
Attachment 288449

Attachment 288457

Hope you all enjoyed!
Thanks for looking!

EdmontonHorseGal 09-24-2013 07:37 PM

he is very pretty! reminds me of one of my many bettas, same colour and pattern through the fins.

but $20 for a betta??? wow........ i could see paying that for a specialized fin type or a king/giant betta, but not for a pretty coloured veil tail pet store type one. me thinks your LPS is really jacking up their prices. most i've ever paid for a betta was $8.

Zexious 09-24-2013 07:39 PM

Aw, he's cute :> What's his name?

rexing93 09-24-2013 07:45 PM

The prices in our area (we have TONS of pet stores) are all very competitive for Bettas. :3 My EE male was roughly $35.
Veintails are $5
Crowntails are $8
Double Tails are $8-10
Halfmoons are $15ish
King Bettas are $20ish
My boy is a Halfmoon Double Tail so he was $20 :3
Not uncommon here. XD

Where I used to live they only had Veintails and Crowntails and the pricing was still $5-10 for those. Perhaps the prices are merely vary for locations? Because the prices I've noticed have always been pretty standard. :S

But thank you!

rexing93 09-24-2013 07:46 PM

Zexious-I'm still coming up with the name. I have two boys right now (Oliver Aiden Finley and Ozwald Gibson Radnor) and I want to keep the awkward name flow going XD so his name will be challenging to come up with, I'm sure.

And thank you!

Incitatus32 09-24-2013 08:51 PM

I love those names and that fish! haha I had betas for years and honestly if I have fish again will have betas (though luckily my town doesn't seem to know the difference because I had one like that type and it was only $5 haha). What are friends for other than to give you fish you don't need? When I had my really old guy a 'best friend' of mine dropped another beta in it's container on my living room coffee table as a present. Congrats on the job AND the new fish! :wink:

rexing93 09-24-2013 09:38 PM

Thank you, Incitatus32!
Bettas are definitely the best! :P And the Bettas up here get rather pricey :3 but oh well. They're definitely worth every penny...to me anyways. :P but gotta love those friends who support the addiction! haha

Wild Heart 09-24-2013 11:55 PM

He's a handsome devil!

I also have an extreme betta addiction. Working at a pet-store doesn't help my cause at all.

CLaPorte432 09-25-2013 12:00 AM

893 Attachment(s)
He is a very attractive color. Wow. I hope you can make him better!

and we have $2.99 Bettas around here. LoL. :-( Nothing fancy like this handsome devil...
Posted via Mobile Device

Poseidon 09-25-2013 12:30 AM

He's beautiful! I currently only have 2 goldfish, a shubunkin and a sarassa comet. I have a 40 gallon tank though that will be set up and cycled for cichlids (for sure a couple bumblebees, but I'm not sure what else yet). I had two veiltails named Lt. Shinysides and Col. Floppyfins that died not long ago unexpectedly and for a reason I never determined.

What do your tanks look like? I had both of my bettas in a 10 gallon tank with a makeshift divider made from plastic poster hangers and plastic cross stitch canvas. Worked very well and they rarely bothered each other.