The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Cold Sore in Horse's Mouth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cold-sore-horses-mouth-282673/)

selika01 09-24-2013 07:53 PM

Cold Sore in Horse's Mouth

My horse has a cold sore in her mouth on her upper lip.
What can I do for it? The flies are getting on it and bothering her a lot!
Thanks Guys!

Chickenoverlord 09-24-2013 08:46 PM

Um, I dont think horses can get cold sores, correct me if I'm wrong. Are you sure that's what it is, and not an injury from snuffling something sharp in her paddock?

Chevaux 09-24-2013 09:10 PM

I also did not think horses could get cold sores. I suspect it more likely an externally caused injury - poke with a stalk while eating, insect bite that got infected, etc. You could probably get by with keeping it as clean as possible and using an antibiotic cream on it. If it doesn't appear to be healing over the next couple of days or getting worse, it's a call to the vet.

Left Hand Percherons 09-25-2013 03:49 AM

More than likely you are talking about a summer sore. What that is is simply fly larvae that have been deposited on a break in the skin. The easiest way to deal with it is to rub ivermectin paste dewormer on the sore until it goes away. Maybe 3-4 days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chickenoverlord 09-25-2013 09:43 AM

I would not do the ivermectin! It is very easy to OD on it, and a little goes a long way. I also highly doubt that a maggot would remain on that part of aliving horse for more than a few minutes. Is it possible there is foxtail in her pasture? It causes ulceration of the mouth and digestive tract. Pics would help.

Boo Walker 09-25-2013 11:05 AM

Last winter when our Belgian got kicked in the mouth by our Mustang, he had quite a nasty wound inside his lip. Luckily the mouth heals quickly. I used a big syringe filled with warm salt water to irrigate the lip wound. I also sprayed it with Cepacol to help numb and disinfect it. It only took about 3 days. If it doesn't respond in a couple of days or begins to look worse, time to call a Vet. Good luck!

KigerQueen 09-26-2013 04:58 AM

I have seen a appy who had sores like that. He had them all over his mouth and his sheath and other sensitive areas. I always thought it looked like herpes (it wasn't) but i cant remember for the life of me what it was called. The owner just left them alone as there was nothing she could do about them.

selika01 10-01-2013 11:16 PM

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for your Tips :D
She might have ate a Thorn or something She is in the Open pasture There are some Thorny plants out there other than that I don't know what it could be?
It is looking quite better already I have not used anything but a Charcoal Paste It seems to be working. I will Keep using it and if it doesn't get better i will try what you suggested.

I will Try to get Pics..

CLaPorte432 10-01-2013 11:31 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chickenoverlord (Post 3721473)
I would not do the ivermectin! It is very easy to OD on it, and a little goes a long way. I also highly doubt that a maggot would remain on that part of aliving horse for more than a few minutes. Is it possible there is foxtail in her pasture? It causes ulceration of the mouth and digestive tract. Pics would help.

Ummm...Actually Ivermectin has a very very very very LOW chance of overdosing...Like you can dose a horse with 60 times the standard dose without complications. Not that you should ever do that, but, you get my point. Ivermectin is probably one of the safest dewormers on the market.

http://www.webertrainingstables.com/wormer.cfm
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 10-02-2013 01:18 AM

Is her skin pink? It could be sunburn. Diaper rash cream would help if that's the case, and it stays on longer than sunscreen.

To Chickenoverlord: look up warbles. They're gross. They're basically flies that grow under the skin like a bump - effectively a maggot growing on a horse.
Posted via Mobile Device