The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Dressage = failed/crippled performance horse (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/dressage-%3D-failed-crippled-performance-horse-28271/)

Spyder 05-23-2009 12:26 PM

Dressage = failed/crippled performance horse

I read this on another board and when I read statements like this I wonder how they would even come to a conclusion like this, and the mentality that could even come to this conclusion or even post such nonsense.

You have to have a very sound horse to do dressage.

Quote:

Well you know what they say. Dressage was invented for failed/crippled jumpers. (read as failed/crippled performance horse)

Sixxofdiamonds 05-23-2009 12:37 PM

Somebody actually wrote that? How is a dressage horse not a performance horse? Do people know what dressage IS? I can't imagine a lame horse or a "crippled" horse successfully doing a dressage test. Considering there is no way a horse not in it's prime condition could even do a simple dressage move.

Where do people come up with this nonsense? If a horse is unable to jump due to an injury/etc, they sure as hell aren't going to be able to piaffe, let alone even canter collectedly.

ETA: This comment is out of the mouth of a western gal, who has only half-assedly attempted dressage. Because it's HARD! But jumping came easy for us.... haha!

CJ82Sky 05-23-2009 12:41 PM

LOL nevermind that to be successful at jumpers, you need to be able to have a good foundation of dressage FIRST....uh duh. That's pretty astounding. But I suppose people that make comments like this are the same kinds of people that think trucking your horse around on the forehand over 3' jumpers using a twisted wire snaffle bit for tight turns is good jumpers. *sigh*

eventerdrew 05-23-2009 12:43 PM

oh.my.goodness.

Dressage horses are amazing. They have to have a butt load of talent to even do it!

like you said Spyder- Dressage horses have to be the soundest of the sound to do what they do. I would like to see that person try Prix St Georges!

out of curiosity, which board was this on?

MIEventer 05-23-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

LOL nevermind that to be successful at jumpers, you need to be able to have a good foundation of dressage FIRST....uh duh. That's pretty astounding. But I suppose people that make comments like this are the same kinds of people that think trucking your horse around on the forehand over 3' jumpers using a twisted wire snaffle bit for tight turns is good jumpers. *sigh*
Great post! I couldn't agree more with you.

That's why we see the educated riders who put so much time and effort into dressage progress to mid and upper levels - while the uneducated remain at low levels not going anywhere and wondering why they keep getting beat in the show ring.

~~~~

To Spyder and this post - I think it falls onto the conformation of the horse.

Again, what the horse capeable of doing the movements required physically?

It has nothing to do with the sport itself, it has to do with the people pushing the animal beyond it's limits.

AussieDaisyGirl 05-23-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ82Sky (Post 312806)

I totally agree!!

draftlover215 05-23-2009 05:10 PM

Wow, how naive must someone be to say something like that. That is the most uneducated statement I've heard in a while. And to think, that person may even own their own horse! Imagine what their horse must go through if they are that uneducated.

appylover31803 05-23-2009 06:04 PM

I've seen a lot of horse for sale ads or rescue ads that say horse can't jump but can do dressage. I do think that ones I've seen mean lower level dressage and nothing fancy, though I never asked so I don't know for sure.

There are also horses that don't enjoy jumping so they do dressage. Are they crippled? Not at all!

Some people just like to talk out of their butts to get attention or whatever.
I'd like for them to tell me how any of the grand prix dressage horses are failed or crippled performance horse....

IheartPheobe 05-23-2009 07:10 PM

That's crazy. Completely.. crazy. My horse trips all over himself just doing a beginner introductory test.. soo, there is no way a crippled horse could do any dressage.. at all.
I mean, there are horses that were never trained to jump or have health issues that keep them from jumping, but can do flat work, but that's different.

Spyder 05-23-2009 07:15 PM

Even if that statement was said in jest it still shows the level of mentality behind it.

It is like referring to something like a short bus in a joking manner it is still totally inappropiate.