The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   mouthy horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/mouthy-horse-282738/)

abbierose1656 09-24-2013 08:33 PM

mouthy horse?

Hey, my horse Rose is very expressive with her bit in. We are using a double jointed loose ring snaffle. She gapes her mouth open with contact, and she also moves her lips around. It kinda looks like that sensitive smell thingy but her head ain't in the air. I've gotten her teeth checked, i have light hands, but you have to have contact with her or she becomes a ferrari:shock: I just don't know what she's doing and why. Please let me know what to do, as it is very unattractive at shows. -thanks

abbierose1656 09-24-2013 08:36 PM

I forgot to add that she only starts doing it when she gets really really excited. When i ride her she gets more and more excited as we ride. Therefore at the end of the lesson when we are rapping up and jumping( which she LOVES) she does this.She is in no pain. she's been checked

SlideStop 09-24-2013 09:33 PM

I'd quit jumping for a while and go back to flat work and get her to relax. All the busy mouth play is usually a sign of anxiety, where its scared or excited. Starting slow from pole work will her anxiety in check. If she starts getting worked up, throwing her head around, and taking off its a sign she cannot hand what your asking her to do.

abbierose1656 09-24-2013 09:59 PM

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense;)

SlideStop 09-24-2013 10:22 PM

Sorry for all the spelling errors! wow... that post was bad!

Good luck with your re-training!

BreakableRider 09-25-2013 01:20 PM

getting mouthy is just a symptom of the problem. She gets anxious and worked up and that's her outlet. Quit jumping and go back to basics, get her where she will w/t/c on a loose rein and i'd be willing to bet that this will go away. You need to get her mind calmed down first, if you are just holding her back physically the problem will stay.